Cost-efficient renewable energy technologies are the need of the day. The uncertainty surrounding the oil prices and the rising awareness amongst the masses for environmental safety has led to the popularity of heat pumps. When something becomes popular, myths about it tend to make the rounds. It is primarily due to the absence of sufficient and accurate knowledge about it. Today, we aim to bust the five common heat pump myths and present the true picture.
Busting 5 Common Heat Pump Myths
If you are seriously thinking about upgrading your existing heating and cooling system, the actual understanding of heat pumps will help differentiate between hearsay and actual facts. The myths that we are busting today are those that are heard more often than others. These myths raise red flags in the minds of prospective buyers. Clearing these points of confusion will make things crystal clear and aid you in making a wise decision.
1. Heat Pumps Are very Expensive – The core cost of buying and installing a heat pump is definitely on the higher side. But is that the complete picture? No, it is not. The truth is that the heat pump renders savings in the form of a reduction in energy costs. However, the payback period can range from 5 to 7 years. Additionally, many states offer Renewable Heat Incentive or RHI. If you are eligible for the same, you shall be entitled to subsidized payment for making use of renewable energy equipment to heat and cool your home. All in all, you may have to pay more to own and get the heat pump in working order, but at the end of the day, the additional expense will pay itself back in a couple of years.
2. Heat Pumps Are Loud – When the heat pumps were yet new in the market, they were indeed loud. So much so that the noise was both irritating and distracting. Since then, technology has undergone a sea change. The newer models of the heat pump are not noisy. At the max, they make as much noise as your refrigerator, which means that it’s bearable. If your heat pump makes a lot of noise, it could be because:
1. It is an older model.
2. Its installation was not done properly.
3. There is a loose or broken part inside that requires repair or replacement.
Other than these reasons, the modern-day heat pumps operate without any loud distractions.
3. Heat Pumps Are Only Good For Heating – Just because they are called heat pumps does not mean that they are good for heating purposes only. The name is derived from the underlying principle, which forms the basis of its operations. A heat pump transfers heat from one place to another. In summers, it pulls out the heat from indoor air and dissipates it outdoors. In winters, it brings in heat from outside and maintains the warmth indoors. The next time somebody tells you that the heat pumps can only be used in winters, do educate them about its basic functioning.
4. Heat Pumps Take Up A Lot Of Space – Just like your regular heating and cooling system, the heat pump, too, consists of an outdoor unit and one or more indoor units. The outdoor unit is marginally bigger than the compressor unit of your AC. On the other hand, the indoor unit is mounted on the ceiling or wall and hence, does not take away from the floor space. While in the geothermal heat pumps, there is an extensive grid of concealed underground loops that deliver efficient and effective heating and cooling. Since these are underneath the floor and out of sight, they, too, don’t take up any visible floor space. So, in actuality, there will not be a big difference in the space occupied by an HVAC system and the heat pump.
5. Heat Pumps Need More Maintenance – Regular heating and cooling systems consist of an air conditioner and a furnace. The air conditioner provides cooling while the furnace heats. Therefore, the AC and furnace both require maintenance. AC tune-up is done in spring and that of the furnace in autumn. So, in a year, the central heating and cooling system gets two servicings. In comparison, the heat pump does both the jobs and, in turn, asks for 6 monthly maintenance. It turns out to have two servicings semi-annually, which is the same as that required by any other system. Ideally, there is no difference in the maintenance schedule of the heat pumps. They demand the same amount of attention as your present HVAC system.
Why Heat Pumps Are A Better Choice
To be wry about new technology is nothing to be ashamed about, especially when it comes with a hefty price tag attached to it. Nonetheless, heat pumps are one such technology that has so far not shown any adverse effects. They are any day a better choice over the traditional temperature control systems. Here are some reasons why we recommend heat pumps:
1. Heat pumps use renewable sources of energy to keep the indoor space at a comfortable temperature.
2. It does not run on any flammable fuels; therefore, it is much safer to use.
3. Using a heat pump can help you save almost 30% on energy costs.
4. Heat pumps are the most reliable way to reduce your household’s carbon footprint.
Rumors and myths start when there is a lack of information. When looking for accurate data, the best people to talk to are those involved in the business, such as the technicians at your local HVAC company. They are the people who have complete knowledge and can dispel your doubts and concerns. There are many myths surrounding heat pumps. Next time you encounter one, check its validity from your trusted technician instead of going on hearsay.
Aztil Air Conditioning is your one-stop-shop for all HVAC related queries and concerns in West Palm Beach, Florida. We are a family-owned business operating since 1981. Our legacy of satisfied and happy customers is our pride, and we intend to maintain it. With a team of 100+ air experts, we can cater to all emergencies and situations. Our technicians are fully qualified to handle all types of HVAC jobs like installation, repairs, and maintenance. Their experience and professionalism in handling the job will leave you pleasantly surprised. If your heating and cooling system needs some TLC, give us a call at +1-888-729-8452. We are open 24/7, so anytime is a good time.