It is not always easy to recognize the signs that indicate the AC system repairs are in order. Sometimes we ignore them, thinking they will go away on their own, and sometimes we fail to notice something is wrong. The truth is that both these scenarios can lead to excessive damage to the HVAC unit. Every HVAC owner should be vigilant towards their heating and cooling system. Only then can you expect long and lasting service from the equipment.
Six Signs Your AC System Needs To Be Repaired
AC system repairs are a normal occurrence. If you notice even one of any of the following six signs, it means that your AC system is asking for professional repairs. So without much ado, let’s read about them:
1. High Energy Bills For No Plausible Reason – When a piece of equipment like the air conditioner works, it consumes power. The longer it works, the higher the power bill will be. The good news is that modern air conditioners are built for efficiency. Therefore, when you use them, the energy bill should not be exceptionally high. Nevertheless, if there is a drastic peak in the energy bill for no good reason, the chances are that there is a problem building inside the AC, which is impacting its efficiency. The technician will have to come and check both the indoor and the outdoor unit to figure out the problem. A couple of things that you could check before calling the technician are:
1. The air filters should be clean. If they are dirty, replace them.
2. The area around the outdoor unit should be free of any obstructions so that air can move freely.
If you have taken care of these two things and yet the energy bills are high, your AC needs repairs.
2. Odd Noises Coming From The Unit – Several times, we have told our clients it is not normal for an AC to make a continuous loud noise. There is a particular reason for every sound that emanates from the unit. The only thing is to identify the type of sound correctly. For example, here are a few sounds the AC makes and the reasons behind them:
1. Banging – This is indicative of a part that has become loose or has dislodged from its position. It is now hitting against some other moving component.
2. Whirring – This sound can be heard when the fan bearings wear out.
3. Clanking – This noise is produced when some component of the AC is out of balance.
4. Squealing – When the fan belt wears out, it produces a squealing sound. Sometimes when the fan motor is going bad, then too, it produces this loud grating sound.
5. Hissing Or High Pitched Screaming – When the refrigerant level in the AC drops, it produces a hissing or screaming sound.
3. Frequent Malfunctions – Typically, a well-maintained AC will not develop problems quickly. Even if something does go wrong, such instances will be few and far between. If you feel that your AC is frequently malfunctioning, it is possible the technician hasn’t caught the real problem. Until the root of the problem is identified correctly, the technician cannot find its proper resolution, and issues will keep cropping. It is also possible that your unit is old and nearing the end of its life. Therefore, it needs continuous adjustments. In both these cases, repairs by a trained and certified technician are the only viable option.
4. AC Not Cooling – When the AC fails to cool the air, it is as good as an AC that does not work. Several reasons could be the underlying cause. Some of which are:
1. Frozen evaporator coils.
2. Low levels of refrigerant.
3. Compressor not kicking in.
In all of these cases, you will have to call the technician to carry out repairs. The technician will thoroughly inspect your AC to find the root cause. Once they pinpoint the exact problem, repairs will be carried out to rectify it.
5. Frequent Short Cycling – Usually, AC short cycles when not sized correctly for the home. Apart from that, short cycling may occur due to any of the following reasons:
1. Freezing up the evaporator coils.
2. Wiring or electrical problems within the heating and cooling system.
3. Malfunctioning of the compressor.
Short cycling is not a good sign because it means added pressure on the system. Which, in turn, might cause overheating or component failure. It will also add to your energy bills as it is a sign of reduced efficiency.
6. High Humidity – The way an air conditioner operates is unique. It not only extracts heat from the air but also humidity. Although removing humidity is not its primary job, yet it does an admirable job of the same. If suddenly you notice that the humidity level has increased indoors and not because of dripping taps and damp areas, it means the AC is struggling to remove it. Another related symptom would be that your home will suddenly start feeling warmer. When the humidity increases, so does the “feel-like” temperature. So even if it is not an excessively hot day, one would still feel as if it were. The apparent causes behind high humidity would be:
1. Frozen evaporator coils.
2. Improper insulation.
3. Leaks in the ductwork.
All AC problems do not warrant repairs. Sometimes the issue results from something as simple as dirty air filters, in which case, the owner can themselves switch them out with new ones. Nevertheless, if you see a sudden increase in your power bills, hear weird sounds coming from the AC, or feel that the house is not cool enough for the same setting anymore, AC system repairs are called for. You can ask your trusted local HVAC technician and inspect the unit to figure out the problem and repair it.
In West Palm Beach, Florida, Azil Air Conditioning is a trusted name amongst HVAC contractors. Operating since 1981 as a family-owned business, we consider our clients a part of our extended family. Working in their best interests, we provide a full suite of quality HVAC services at an affordable price. If you think something is wrong with your commercial or residential air conditioner, call us at +1-888-729-8452 anytime and book an appointment. We are always open, so any time is a good time.