When it comes to air conditioners, or, for that matter, any HVAC system or central heating and cooling system, efficiency is the key to keeping costs low. Some of us are especially vigilant towards this actual necessity of life. Most of us repent at a later date when ignorance leads to expensive repairs or replacements.
Air conditioning mistakes are often overlooked completely. It generally does not happen on purpose but rather due to a lack of relevant information. So, today, we decided to concentrate our discussion on those air conditioning mistakes costing you money. Hopefully, this will make for an enlightening read that will help you save more.
Air Conditioning Mistakes Costing You Money
Here is a list of common mistakes committed by homeowners which tend to increase power consumption and sometimes even call for costly repairs:
1. Not Changing The Air Filters Timely – Do you remember when the last time you changed the air filters of your HVAC system was? No? It means it’s been too long, and by now, the filters are clogged with dirt making it impossible for the unit to breathe. Think of the air filters as your lungs. Cigarette smoking damages your lungs and leads to health problems. The air filters are the lungs of your heating and cooling system. If they get dirty and are unable to do their job well, your unit will develop problems. Following issues crop up when you fail to change the air filters timely:
1. The system will work under undue pressure.
2. Cooling will not be up to par.
3. It will start overheating.
4. Components will malfunction.
5. Efficiency will take a nosedive.
2. Thinking Maintenance Is Not Necessary – The purpose of maintenance is to catch HVAC issues in their early stage before they can disrupt your comfort. When there is no noticeable problem with the AC, you may feel why bother with maintenance and waste money. This very thinking is the reason why the future expenditure on the unit will be high. By the time a problem becomes apparent, it would have started affecting other parts and components of the AC as well. Not only will it compound in severity, but in some extreme cases, it may even be fatal to the unit itself. Ignoring maintenance will result in:
1. A steady decrease in the efficiency of the AC.
2. Increased wear and tear.
3. Frequent breakdowns, faults, and malfunctions.
4. Expensive repairs year after year.
3. Allowing Vegetation And Pile-ups To Increase Around Outdoor Unit – The heat trapped by the indoor unit from inside the house has to be discarded somewhere. The outdoor compressor unit takes care of that. It takes the indoor heat and expels it outside. To complete the job to satisfaction, the area around the outdoor unit should be free of obstructions. The said obstructions could be in the form of trees, bushes, plants, and piles of dead leaves, or any other kind of debris. Therefore, if any trees, plants, or shrubs are growing around it, prune them regularly. Also, do not allow dead leaves, tree branches, and other stuff to form piles around it. As long as the air can move freely to and fro from the outdoor unit, all remains well. Impediments around it can cause:
1. Overheating of the compressor.
2. Compressor malfunction.
3. Compressor failure.
4. Still Keeping Your Decade-Old AC Up And Running – The useful product life of an AC is typically a decade or 10 years. If your AC has already crossed that mark, you should know that it is now eating into your reserves and running on borrowed time. Yes, purchasing a new air conditioner may seem to be an exorbitant expense, yet it is a better deal than the continuous money you pour into keeping the old machine running. A new unit will be a more viable option in the long run than pushing the old one along. In terms of efficiency, the old AC has barely anything left to offer. Its power consumption is high, and so is the cost of repairs. Do keep in mind that your old unit is:
1. Getting more and more difficult to run due to the unavailability of spares.
2. Its repairs are becoming increasingly difficult.
3. It runs on the now-banned “Freon” refrigerant.
4. The technology used in the unit is outdated.
5. Not Using A Smart Thermostat – If you want to maximize your savings through energy conservation, you need a smart thermostat. It is easily programmable and does not require continuous manipulations to maintain the ideal temperature throughout the day. Once you have programmed your requirement, it will take care of the rest. The best part is that even if you forget to make some changes, you can still do it from anywhere as long as there is internet connectivity at home and on your phone. A smart thermostat will:
1. Allow you to set different temperatures for different times of the day.
2. Show your energy consumption pattern.
3. Make adjustments automatically when it senses that the house is empty.
We all make mistakes, but it is essential to acknowledge them and move forward without making them again. If you wish to reduce your cooling bill this summer and every year henceforth, remember to schedule timely maintenance of the AC, change its air filter periodically, keep the area around the compressor unit clean, and if possible, invest in a programmable or a smart thermostat. These small expenditures will help you save big by reducing the need for costly AC repairs and will also lower your energy bills.
Residents of West Palm Beach, Florida, who have still not scheduled the maintenance of their AC can contact Aztil Air Conditioning. In addition to AC maintenance, we also take care of its installation and repairs. Our qualified team of professionals consists of NATE certified technicians, so your HVAC unit is always in good hands. We shall handle it like our very own. To book an appointment, call us any time at +1-888-729-8452. Our offices are always open so any time is a good time.