Do you have a ducted heating and cooling system in your home? If yes, when was the last time you got it cleaned? Never…because this is the first time you are hearing that they require cleaning. Some of you even think of it as a wastage of money. Today, we are here to bust a few myths and also open your eyes to the fact that indoor air quality is a critical element in your continued good health.
Dirty air ducts are detrimental to your health as well as the reliability of your heating and cooling system. Many people are not aware of this fact. Ignorance makes them overlook the necessity of cleaning the ducts for which they pay later.
Dirty Air Ducts Reduce Home Comfort
A clean home is pleasing to the eye and looks inviting. The other purpose cleaning solves is that of making your living area or working space hygienic and healthy. The air ducts, too, are a part of your home. They remain hidden from the naked eye, due to which it is easy to forget about them. When that happens, they accumulate dander, dust, and debris carried by the circulating air. Besides, pollen, mold, bacteria, and viruses also find their way into them. As the build-up inside the ducts increases, the air passing through them picks up these unwanted particles and carries them far and wide into your home. As a result, your breathing space becomes contaminated.
Polluted indoor air is a grave concern as it leads to several health problems like mild to severe allergic reactions, breathing ailments, dizziness, nausea, etc. If you or anyone in your family is sensitive to airborne contaminants, they are bound to fall ill and feel uncomfortable even while indoors. Therefore, dirty air ducts can make your home an unhealthy and uncomfortable place.
How Duct Cleaning Improves Home Comfort
Let us now briefly study how clean ducts can make your home more comfortable and welcoming.
1. Reduces Or Eliminates Allergy Symptoms – Clean ductwork means there are no unpleasant surprises hidden inside them like pests, critters, disease-causing micro-organisms, and such. Hence, one can be sure that the air coming out from the ducts is safe to inhale. Once the ductwork is given a thorough professional cleaning, you will also notice a dramatic reduction in your allergy symptoms and other related problems. If you are lucky, they may even vanish altogether. What necessarily happens is that the concentration of airborne pollutants depletes, and so they are unable to cause adverse reactions giving you the much-needed respite.
2. Eradicates Appalling Odors – Dirty air ducts also trap odors. Some of these are stale, smoky, and unpleasant. In short, they are offensive and make your home an uncomfortable place. With such an aggressive smell invading the environment, you can neither unwind and relax or let the creative juices flow. In fact, it can lead to major mood swings. Nonetheless, cleaning the air ducts will help you get rid of these disgusting smells and restore peace and harmony indoors.
3. Improves The Performance Of The HVAC System – The key to improving your HVAC system’s performance is unrestricted airflow. Your heating and cooling system will work best when the air flows to and from it without facing any obstructions. Sadly dirty air ducts mean build-ups, which, in turn, mean hurdles in the path of moving air. The only way to ensure that the ducts do not hinder air movement is by ensuring their cleanliness. Once the ducts are clean, you will notice that your closed space reaches the desired temperature quickly without any increase in power consumption. Hence, your home is now a more comfortable place.
Who Should Do Duct Cleaning?
Duct cleaning is by no means a Do It Yourself activity. Firstly, because you lack the know-how, and secondly, standard household equipment will not suffice due to its limited range and power. What you need is a truck-mounted powerful vacuum cleaner that has a really long and easy to maneuver hose. Such equipment is available with professional duct cleaners.
The ductwork may seem very sturdy, but it needs gentle handling. Else you can easily damage it. It is the lack of this expertise why you are often told to refrain from cleaning the ducts. Invariably your aggressive handling may lead to tears or cracks in them, which will result in expensive repairs. On the other hand, a professional duct cleaner is trained to carry out the job precisely. They know when and how much pressure to exert.
Frequency Of Duct Cleaning
The good news is that the ducts don’t become dirty in a few days or months. It takes years for them to be called filthy. A good practice is to ensure duct cleaning every five years. There are a few exceptions:
1. If you live in an area frequented with dust storms, it is best to ensure duct cleaning every three years.
2. If you have moved into an already lived-in home, get the ducts cleaned before moving in or immediately after that. This way, you will not have to worry about what lurks inside them.
3. If you find signs of pest infestation, the chances are pretty high that they reside inside your ducts. This calls for immediate duct cleaning.
4. If you see black powdery substance growing around the vents, duct cleaning is a necessity. It is most likely mold that has taken root in the ductwork.
Duct cleaning helps get rid of all those contaminants that reside inside the ducts. Once done, your home will require less cleaning, it will smell fresh, and most importantly, you will notice a gradual reduction in allergies. In fact, you will even notice an improvement in the efficiency of your HVAC system. All in all, it makes for a more comfortable and happy home.
Aztil Air Conditioning, a premier HVAC contractor in West Palm Beach, Florida, offers a full suite of HVAC services. Right from HVAC installation to replacement, repairs to maintenance, and offering air quality solutions to air duct cleaning, we do it all. When you lay your trust in us, we promise you world-class services at an affordable rate. Our offices are open 24/7, so you can call us anytime. To book an appointment, give us a call at +1-888-729-8452. We are looking forward to building a long and standing relationship with you.