Spotting a contractor who is providing substandard or poor service is very difficult for building managers, homeowners, and business owners. It is primarily due to their lack of expertise in the area. But that does not mean one has to be open to getting conned time and again. There are ways to judge the quality of service being provided by the HVAC contractor.
The fact that you are reading this article is an indicator of your suspicions of your HVAC contractor’s quality of service. Today, we aim to make it easy for you to judge for yourself whether you have an authentic equipment problem or an inexperienced and careless contractor on hand.
7 Signs You’re Getting Poor Service From Your Commercial HVAC Contractor
Here are seven signs that will help you identify a problematic commercial HVAC contractor. If yours fulfills even two of these conditions, it is best to look for another else you will be putting your system and yourself at risk.
1. Cannot Identify The Cause Of The Problem – Technical knowledge, on-the-job training, and experience are the keys to identifying HVAC problems. A contractor or technician who fails to figure out the issue usually lacks in one or all of the areas mentioned above. They will pinpoint a new cause every time and never accept that their skill is limited. HVAC troubles don’t happen overnight. They take time to build before becoming an issue. Ideally, your commercial HVAC contractor should identify them at the time of maintenance and forewarn you about them. Claiming that the problem was not there at the time of tune-up is not a readily acceptable excuse. The real issue here is that the maintenance itself was done haphazardly, and hence, they failed to identify that things had started going wrong. You become an easy target because your lack of knowledge does not give you much room to argue the point. Nonetheless, the fact remains that most troubles can be caught at the time of maintenance. If your technician is unable to do so, they are taking you for a ride.
2. Solution Is Found Only After Multiple Visits – A skilled contractor will always address the problem in the very first instance. On the other hand, a mediocre contractor is more interested in making money, so will try arranging for multiple visits before actually doing anything about the real issue. Hence, if your technician claims that the problem is yet not resolved and that another visit will be required, you are being fleeced.
3. Don’t Have Appropriate Equipment To Deal With The Issue – A competent contractor will never be caught without the proper equipment for repairs on site. Whenever the technician has to go on-site, they first equip themselves with the appropriate safety gear, commonly needed spare parts, and equipment that may or may not be needed for the AC installation, repairs, and maintenance. In short, they are always prepared for any eventuality, so nothing comes to them as a surprise. An HVAC contractor who is not serious about the job they do, on the other hand, will always have a ready excuse. In most cases, it would be the unavailability of the right set of tools or the necessary spares.
4. Technician Turns Up Alone Then Calls For Help – It is not a good omen if your HVAC technician comes alone and has to contact the head-office or senior technician for clarifications repeatedly. It means that the company has sent a novice and that, too, alone. Ideally, even if they were sending a newbie, they should have sent him with a mentor and not alone. From now on, it wouldn’t harm to inquire about the technician’s experience.
5. Will Never Give You Reasons And Explanations For What They Do – A technician should always give you an overview of his findings after a thorough inspection of the unit. Along with that, he will also put forth his recommendations with proper explanations. In comparison, an unaccomplished HVAC contractor will tinker around with your unit, give you half-baked reasons, and hand over a bill that raises more questions due to its ambiguities. Most HVAC owners will not be able to supervise the repair or maintenance work. Therefore, it is up to the technician to clearly communicate with them about the work done. Poor communication skills is not a viable excuse.
6. Cannot Answer Your Queries Satisfactorily – Capable commercial HVAC contractors take the pain to answer all the queries and concerns of the clients. They want them to understand both the problem and its solution in layman terms. The reverse is true for those contractors who are out to make a quick buck. These contractors try to confuse the customers in technical jargon and leave them in a spin. Helping the customer understand the issue is not their cup of tea. Such incompetent contractors will never give you satisfactory answers.
7. Never Clean-Up – Like a good chef cleans his workstation and the kitchen, even the HVAC technician has to clean his mess. He cannot leave behind tools, broken parts, and other debris. These could jeopardize the safety of the HVAC system as well as the residents. Not cleaning up their mess is a sign of being lazy and incompetent. Both qualities are highly undesirable. A person who does not respect the workplace will never stand by the work they do. In fact, their quality of work is also questionable.
To Wrap Up
Armed with the right knowledge, every HVAC owner can protect their interests. Just because you lack the technical know-how, it does not mean that you have to be easy prey. Look for signs like shabbiness of work, leaving tools lying around, not answering your questions, having to call for help, etc. These are all signs of poor service provided by the commercial HVAC contractor. You can call them out on it and make them answerable.
If you want effective and efficient HVAC service along with the peace of mind for your West Palm Beach heating and cooling equipment, look no further than Aztil Air Conditioning. We are a family-owned business operating since 1981. Our team of technicians is well trained to handle all types of HVAC jobs. We have the necessary experience, equipment, and know-how to keep your unit humming with pleasure. Our technicians stand by their work and will always give you value for money service. Why wait any longer? Book an appointment with our air experts today. Just call +1-888-729-8452.