Having a home that is clean, comfortable, and hygienic is every homeowner’s desire. In today’s COVID-19 pandemic scenario, it has become even more crucial. Nowadays, most homes have a central heating and cooling system or an HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning) system, which is a complete mechanism for keeping your living space at the desired temperature. A vital part of this mechanism is the ductwork. The cleanliness of the ducts decides the indoor air quality. If the ducts are clean, the air you breathe is also clean and vice-versa.
Knowing ducts are important is not enough. Every homeowner needs to bear the responsibility of ensuring that they are clean as well. Now is probably the best time to ask yourself – “Are you dwelling among clean air ducts?” Wondering what kind of question is that? It’s a very important one. If you don’t remember how long back you gave the ducts in your house a professional cleaning, it’s time for action now.
Ducts Are Easily Overlooked
It is easy for people to forget about the air ducts. It is not done on purpose but out of habit. Out of sight is out of mind, and sadly, in the case of air ducts, it’s absolutely true. The ductwork is an extensive network of pipeline structures from which the air travels to and from the HVAC unit. The entire ductwork remains hidden behind the walls or the ceiling. All you see are the vents and registers. Consequently, you forget that it even exists.
Clean Ducts Mean Clean Air
The ducts are dark places that provide the best hiding place for dust, dirt, pollen, dander, micro-organisms, pathogens, pests, and mold to grow and proliferate. Naturally, the air that passes through the ducts will pick up some of these contaminants when their build-up grows inside the ducts. The contaminants will then travel along with the air and pass on indoors, and spread. If there is nothing to pick up, there is nothing to spread, so it is essential to clean the ducts.
Signs Of Dirty Ducts
1. Dust On Surfaces Despite Regular Cleaning – Even after dusting and cleaning the house regularly, dust on surfaces is a sign of build-up inside the ducts. The air passing through the ducts picks up the dust from inside them and deposits it on the surfaces inside the house.
2. Dust Blowing From Vents – When you switch on the AC and see a cloud of dust blowing from the vents, it is another sign of dirty air ducts. Typically, this will happen only when the ducts have become too dirty. Best not to allow the ducts to become this filthy.
3. Black Stuff Growing Around Vents – Black powder-like substance seen growing out of the air vents is mold. It is a hazardous substance and can lead to health problems. Hence, all homeowners must be on the lookout for it. Mold spores can spread into every corner of the house with circulating air. Never commit the mistake of ignoring mold because it will invariably cause illness in your family.
4. Repulsive Odor Coming From Ducts – Bad odors coming from the vents are also a sign of filthy ductwork. Usually, when build-ups inside the ducts increase, they start producing fumes. Together with other smells trapped inside the ducts, it produces a repulsive odor that makes the house unwelcoming.
5. Small Insects Crawling Into Ducts – When you see insects making their way into the ducts, it is indicative of infestation inside them. When your ducts are infested, the insects will leave behind their droppings, dead skin cells and even die inside them, making for an unhealthy and unhygienic environment.
Steps To Keep Ducts Clean
1. Clean The House Regularly – The lesser the dirt inside the house, the lesser it will be inside the ducts. If your house is clean, the amount of dust that will find its way inside the ducts will be minimal. It will take years for any build-ups to form. Similarly, a clean house will not attract pests and insects so you will not have to worry about any infestation.
2. Change The Air Filters Frequently – The work of the air filters in your HVAC system is to trap the dust particles and other microorganisms. It is like a barrier preventing the dust from going inside the ventilation system. To ensure the air filters retain their efficiency, you should switch them out regularly before they become completely clogged.
3. Ensure There Are No Holes And Cracks In Ducts – A regular inspection of the ductwork is necessary to ensure that it has not been compromised. Tears, cracks, and holes in the ducts lead to mixing the contaminated outdoor air with indoor air. This way, dust and other particles like pollen from outside find their way inside the ducts and accumulate. Later, they become a part of the air you breathe and cause allergies. Regular inspection of the ducts will reveal whether duct repairs are needed or not.
4. Professional Cleaning – Finally, the main step – Once every five years, ensure professional cleaning of the ductwork. The professionals will clean every inch of the ductwork with their industrial-grade tools. With their help, what you get is spic and span ducts.
Homeowners know that cleaning the ducts is essential, yet it is quickly forgotten. Moreover, they completely overlook the need for professional cleaning altogether. Now that you know the signs of filthy air ducts don’t procrastinate. Call the duct cleaning professionals for their thorough cleaning.
Aztil Air Conditioning is a reputed HVAC contractor in West Palm Beach, Florida. In addition to HVAC repairs, maintenance, and installations, we also do air duct cleaning. If you wish to schedule an inspection of the ductwork or book an appointment for its cleaning, give us a call at +1-888-729-8452. You can rest assured that by the time we are through, your ducts will be spotless, and you will have nothing to worry about. Our offices are always open so call us at any time of your convenience. Help us to help you make your home safe, comfortable, and hygienic.