Foul odors permeating the house can make even the brightest of days unpleasant. Even the best of moods will take a nosedive. Sometimes, the odor becomes so overpowering that one may feel either they can live in the house or the odor, both cannot coexist. Most of these repulsive smells originate from the AC ducts.
The vents are connected to the ductwork, which rarely ever gets cleaned. The accumulations and odors pile inside until they start finding a way indoors with the circulating air. Since the air enters the house through the AC vents, so do the odors. But did you know there are some easy ways to remove air duct odors from your AC vents? If not, coming across this article is just what you needed.
Easy Ways To Remove Air Duct Odors
1. Clean Or Replace The Air Filter – When we forget to change the air filter timely, it becomes completely clogged with dust, dirt, and debris. The accumulation prevents the passage of air and allows moisture to settle in the ductwork. When this happens, you get a wafting moldy smell from the AC vents. The only way to get rid of it is by timely replacing the air filter every time. Do not let it become clogged, as that will only compound the problem further. If mold gains a foothold in your house, you will have to call professional mold removers to tackle it, which will mean additional expense. If you switch out the air filter every month, you do not need to worry about mold or other foul odors.
2. Vacuum The Ducts – Odor-containing particles find a home inside the passageways of the ducts. Sometimes, these particles are picked up by the circulating air, and the odor gets carried and distributed inside the house. This way, any smell that resides inside the ducts will also permeate the house. There is an easy way to get rid of most of these odors. Almost everybody owns a vacuum cleaner. All you have to do is vacuum the vents and clean their exterior. Surprisingly, this small activity successfully reduces the intensity of most odors and sometimes even eliminates them.
3. Use Exhaust Fans – In the absence of an electric chimney or exhaust fan, odor-laden vapors from the kitchen find a home inside the ducts. Similarly, no ventilation in the washrooms leads to a musty odor inside the house. Getting freedom from such smells is not difficult. It just involves taking concrete steps to improve indoor ventilation, especially in those areas where the odors originate. The easiest way to ensure that is by installing exhaust fans and separating wet and dry areas.
4. Unclog The Condensate Line – Stagnant water is another problem that leads to odors. The bacteria in standing water are the cause of the foul odor. Therefore, always make sure that your air conditioner’s condensate line is free of accumulations. This will ensure that all moisture collected by the cooling unit flows out. When there is an obstruction in the condensate line, it will cause water to back up, which, in turn, will lead to water puddles indoors. Call the technician to clean the condensate line when you see any water puddles around the cooling unit. No standing water means no smells.
5. Schedule HVAC Maintenance – Most often, the homeowners forgo HVAC maintenance, thinking since the unit is showing no obvious signs of malfunction, there’s no need for it. The first thing to remember is that maintenance prevents problems. Why let the issue fester until it disrupts your comfort? The second thing is that maintenance reduces the ill effects of wear and tear. As a result, you don’t have to worry about smells caused by friction and dust, and other particles burning. Such a small step like routine annual maintenance will help eliminate odors.
6. Schedule Professional Duct Cleaning – As we said, ducts are a house to several microorganisms. They even provide habitat to insects and pests. Inside the ducts, these small animals shed hair and skin and leave behind excrement. Sometimes they even die inside, and their bodies rot. The odors that arise due to their rotting will have you running outdoors. To relinquish the smell, you will have to get your complete ductwork cleaned by trained professionals. In addition, make a habit of getting the ducts cleaned thoroughly every few years. This will ensure no infestation inside them and prevent the buildup of pathogens and allergens as well.
Why Call Duct Cleaning Professionals?
Sadly, the typical household equipment used for cleaning is not good enough to clean the ductwork from top to bottom and every corner in between. Also, the homeowners are not trained to understand the fragile nature of the ducts. In trying to clean them themselves, they can do more harm than good.
Professional duct cleaners are not only trained to handle the job with due care, but they also carry all the right equipment. So, by the time they are done, every nook and cranny of your ducts, along with its complete length and breadth, are clean.
The Gist Of The Matter
To remove air duct odors, every homeowner needs to be vigilant to the needs of their home. Keeping it clean, ensuring adequate ventilation, and scheduling timely HVAC maintenance will ensure that your home always smells pleasant and welcoming.
If you live in West Palm Beach and wish to schedule the maintenance of your heating and cooling system, or get the ductwork cleaned, look up Aztil Air Conditioning. We are a reputed, family-owned business operating in South Florida since 1981. Our team of technicians is fully trained and duly certified to do a thorough and satisfying job. Until your problem is solved, we do not rest. Since our offices are open 24/7, you can call us any time at +1-888-729-8452 to book an appointment. Promptness and quality service are the keys to our popularity. We are looking forward to serving you to the best of our capacity.