Florida enjoys a predominantly hot and humid climate. It has long summers, and that is why when one talks of heating, it becomes a standing joke. Why would one invest in a furnace when there are so few cold days? That is an unnecessary expense that can be easily put off by using space heaters or heat strips. To be honest, it’s not about how you can stay warm with minimum expense. Instead, it’s about how you can stay warm safely and efficiently.
We often tend to give our safety and the efficiency of the equipment a backseat in our considerations. At the forefront is the upfront cost of the heating system. Ideally, the situation should be reversed. It is not as if there are zero cold weather days in Florida. From time to time, heating becomes a necessity. Hence, when looking to buy a new furnace in Florida, one must pay attention to how safe the equipment is and its efficiency.
The Problem With Space Heater
Many residents of Florida depend on space heaters to warm their homes. But space heaters are really not an ideal option for the following reasons:
1. They Are Not Safe – Space heaters produce intense heat. Therefore, you need to be extra careful around it. Don’t place any objects very close to it. There is a chance it may become hot and cause accidental burns. Similarly, in homes where there are infants and young children, it becomes all the more necessary to ensure that they don’t venture close to the space heater or play around it.
2. They Are Not Efficient – Space heaters are not energy-efficient. When you start using them, you will see a significant jump in your energy consumption, due to which the power bill will also increase.
3. Fuel Fired Space Heaters Are Also Not Recommended – A fuel-powered space heater may sound like a better option to keep the electricity bill in check, but it is not recommended. Fuel-fired space heaters produce fumes or gases that can be poisonous. So, you would need to make arrangements for a “flue” from which the fumes can escape. In the absence of proper ventilation, your health and life are at risk.
4. Limited Cord Length – The space heaters usually have a small cord, so, in a big room, you will find its heat lacking if you are sitting at a distance. If you think you can solve the problem by using an extension cord or power strips, that is a grave mistake. The fire department strictly advises against this practice because using a space heater with an extension cord or power strip can cause electrical fires.
5. Cannot Warm The Whole House – A space heater can only warm one room at a time. Hence, if you want your entire house to be cozy, you will have to buy a space heater for each room and switch them on simultaneously. The other option is to move the space heater around to whichever room is occupied, but that will only provide heating in a limited area.
Why Not A Heat Pump?
Heat pumps are also a good alternative for heating a home. Nevertheless, these, too, have their unique setbacks. For example:
1. Expensive Investment – Heat pumps are an expensive investment. They are costly to buy and install. So the cumulative cost comes out high. It is not wise to invest in one until you have the financial strength to bear the hefty expense.
2. Low Efficiency In Heating – Heat pumps are very efficient in cooling. Sadly, it does not deliver similarly when it comes to heating. You will see a drastic jump in your power bill every time you are forced to increase the temperature. Moreover, it can’t be connected to the boiler system for getting hot water.
Furnace In Florida Is Indeed The Best Option
For heating, investing in a furnace in Florida is indeed the best decision one can make for the following reasons:
1. Effective And Efficient – A furnace is both effective and efficient. It will provide adequate heating and not dig deep holes in your pocket when the monthly power bill is presented. Your level of indoor comfort will always be better with a furnace compared to a space heater or a heat pump.
2. Warms The Whole House – The furnace will heat your entire home and heat it well. A space heater only heats a limited area, while a heat pump will not heat it adequately. The furnace solves both problems, and staying indoors becomes a relaxing experience.
3. Increases Value Of The House – Furnace in a house is a value addition. Hence, if and when you plan to sell the house, it will only increase the residence’s desirability with prospective buyers.
4. Safe Operations – As long as you take care of the furnace, see to its timely repairs and maintenance, you have nothing to worry about in terms of safety. A furnace is a piece of reliable and safe equipment that you can use without any fear.
The decision to buy a furnace lies in the hands of the homeowner. Nevertheless, it is one decision that will have a lasting impact. As a heating system, it is safe, efficient, and effective. There’s nothing more a person needs other than that. A furnace is a steady source of reliable heat throughout the house, no matter how cold it gets outside. Inside, you can remain warm and toasty.
Aztil Air Conditioning provides installation, repairs, and maintenance of air conditioners in West Palm Beach, Florida. If you wish to upgrade your AC system or buy a new one, we can help you take care of it. We have an expert team of HVAC technicians ready to help you with any HVAC need. We are here to assist you with world-class service at an affordable rate. We operate 24/7 and 365 days a year without any breaks, so you can call anytime.