A brand new air conditioning unit never comes cheap, so replacing the old one is always a big decision. It is a decision that involves quite a bit of money, lots of research, and financial planning. We get lots of calls from clients asking us how much would it cost to replace an air conditioner? There are a number of factors that determine the exact cost of replacement. We don’t really know the final figure until we inspect your home and its requirements.
Factors That Determine The Cost To Replace An Air Conditioner
Two similarly sized homes may get different quotes or estimates for replacement. It is not because the contractor is trying to fleece you. It is because though the homes may be of the same size, but one may or may not have ductwork, or there could be a lack of outdoor space for installing the compressor unit, etc.
1. Size Of The AC – The size of the AC depends on the size of the home. So some homes may require a smaller size AC while others a bigger one. Typically, a small size AC costs less than its next bigger version. For example, a 2 ton AC will be cheaper than a 4 ton AC.
2. Features In The AC – Rapid changes in technology have allowed the manufacturers to make smarter and more energy-efficient air conditioners and that, too, with a wide variety of features. The more the number of features, the costlier the unit.
3. Type Of AC – The heating and cooling system has evolved over the years to accommodate the needs of all homeowners. For old homes, where there are no ducts and making new ones is a task in itself, you have the ductless air conditioners. You also have the mini-split systems for those homes where each member of the family has different cooling requirements. Each of these systems has a different price tag attached to them.
4. Quality Of The AC – The quality of the material used in manufacturing the AC also has a significant bearing on its price. An AC built of poor quality material will come cheap while the one built of top-class raw materials will be costlier. However, in this case, the life of the AC will also depend on it. So, if you desire an AC that works for many years, you should not compromise on quality.
5. SEER Rating – The Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio or the SEER rating also plays a definitive role in determining the cost of the AC. So if you buy an AC with higher SEER value, its price will increase in accordance. The lower the SEER, the cheaper the AC, and the higher the SEER, the costlier the AC.
6. Ease Of Installation – Most homeowners make the grave mistake of overlooking the cost of installation while budgeting for AC replacement. Installation of the AC does not come cheap and is there is some difficulty in installing it, the price increases even further.
7. Contractor Considerations – Licensed contractors, do not come cheap. If you employ a licensed contractor for the installation of your AC, you will have to pay more plus their hourly rate. Some people compromise on money and get their air conditioner installation work done by the so-called budget contractors. The truth is that there are no budget contractors in this field. Those who project themselves as one are neither trained nor licensed to perform the task. They are merely looking for ways to earn a quick buck. Such people can do more harm to your new unit. It is always better to pay more and get a good job done.
Cost To Replace An Air Conditioner
The cost of installing the central air conditioning, along with the unit, varies from approximately $3,000 to $7,000. The price tag fluctuates depending on the location of your house, the system to be installed, and the condition of the ducts. There is no one price rule that applies to all, and so each house will have a different cost to bear while replacing the air conditioner.
How Often Should You Replace An Air Conditioner?
If you take good care of your air conditioner, i.e., see to its annual maintenance, regularly change the air filters and keep the unit clean, you can expect it to run for anywhere between 10 to 15 years. Ideally, the time to replace an air conditioner will come only after the lapse of this period.
How Long Does It Take To Install A New Unit
The average time of installation of a new unit ranges from four to eight hours. This time also involves the time to remove the old unit. Typically, the removal of the old AC and being able to turn on the new one will be completed within a day.
Important Things To Remember While Replacing The AC
A few important things that you should always keep in mind are:
1. Always buy an appropriately sized AC.
2. Consult your local HVAC contractor to know which type of AC is best suited to meet the needs of your home.
3. The repair, maintenance, and installation of AC should always be done by a licensed contractor.
Replacing your old AC with a new one should not be done on a whim and without any proper research. It is a big financial investment that determines the comfort level in your home. Ask for recommendations in brands, research them, make a list of features that you want in AC, and finally, discuss your option with your local HVAC contractor.
In West Palm Beach, Florida, the air experts at Aztil Air Conditioning are eager to help you in any respect with your heating and cooling system. We are a one-stop-shop that caters to repairs, maintenance, and installation of HVAC systems. Call anytime at +1-888-729-8452 to book an appointment.