November is almost over, and Christmas is around the corner. If it’s cold now, very soon, it will be freezing. You need to get your heating system up to par to work overtime to counter the effects of freezing temperature. Achieving the same is not difficult though you need to prepare for it well in time.
Getting The System Ready For Freezing Temps
Forward planning will help you stay warm and snug even in freezing temps. Technology has seen such advancements that the weather outside no longer governs the temperature inside. If you want to stay on top of things, here are some things that you should do:
1. Timely Maintenance – There is no better way to prepare the heating system for the freezing temps than its timely maintenance. The ideal time for maintenance is autumn when the cold weather starts to set it. Once the cold has set in, the maintenance will add to your discomfort as your system will remain switched off during that time period. Nevertheless, if you couldn’t get it done earlier, a little discomfort is a small price to pay considering the benefits that it will render. Maintenance and inspection of the heating system will make it more reliable, prevent any unwarranted breakdowns, and also make it more efficient. Some people consider it to be a wasteful activity, but they are the ones who actually suffer the brunt of cold weather due to system problems and increasing utility bills.
2. Use A Smart Thermostat – Many homes still use a traditional thermostat that needs manual adjustment of temperature each and every time. Their biggest drawback is that if you forget to switch it to the lowest setting while away, energy will be wasted in warming the house when it isn’t actually required. As against this, programmable thermostats allow you to program them according to your daily routine. You can choose separate settings for the weekends. So even if you forget, the thermostat will automatically do the needful as per the preset. Even better is using a smart thermostat. It hooks on to the home’s wifi connection and can be controlled from anywhere with the help of a computer, tablet, or smartphone that, too, has internet connectivity. Smart thermostats also have inbuilt sensors that allow them to adjust the temperature based on what they sense, even if the program is set differently. Smart thermostats do not allow any wasteful use of energy. They are perfect for understanding your needs and keeping the home snug and comfortable even when freezing temps exist outside.
3. Duct Cleaning – If asked, most people will not be able to tell when they got their home’s ductwork cleaned by a professional last. Clean ductwork is essential to maintaining good air quality indoors. It becomes even more important as the winter months are a thriving period for pathogens or illness-causing organisms. Home cleaning instruments and devices fall shart in thoroughly cleaning the ducts due to the limitation of less power and reach. Professional duct cleaners are armed with truck-mounted vacuum cleaners that are both powerful and can reach into every nook and cranny of the ducts. They help remove all the unwanted elements from the ducts, which could later cause problems. Though professional cleaning of the ducts is costly, the good part is that you need to get it done just once every five years or so. If you break down the expense, it is quite reasonable.
4. Clean Filters – Many times, homeowners forget to change the air filters. There are even those who are not even aware that it needs to be done. When the air filters get clogged, they restrict the airflow and are also unable to trap the suspended impurities in the air. As a result, the heating system is unable to work efficiently, and also the air quality indoors deteriorates. Not only does your home not heat up properly, but it also becomes a hot zone for allergies and illness. Changing the air filters is very easy as mostly they are of the clip-on types. One just needs to unclip the dirty air filters and clip in the new ones. Such a simple process and the difference it will bring in increasing the comfort indoors will surprise you.
5. Proper Insulation – A very important part of maintaining fixed temperature indoors is insulation. Often people use sub-standard insulation and wonder why their home is still not warm enough. Good quality insulation is paramount in trapping heat indoors. It will prevent the cold air from outdoors to find its way inside. The insulation has to be equally good in the basement and attic. Just because you don’t visit or use those areas frequently does not mean you can get away with poor insulation there. In most homes, heat loss happens through the attic due to this poor decision. If you want to weatherize your home for winters, ensure that the insulation in the attic is as good as the rest of your home.
You Are All Set
If you follow the above guidelines, the freezing temps outside will not bother you inside. Just to sum it all up for you, annual maintenance of the heating system is essential. Apart from that, use a smart thermostat, get the ductwork cleaned, put clean air filters, and always use good quality insulation throughout the house. These tips will make for a warm and inviting home this winter.
Aztil Air Conditioning can help make your West Palm Beach home more comfortable this winter. Our technicians are always available to take care of your heating and cooling system. If you have still not scheduled its maintenance, give us a call at +1-888-729-8452 to book it now. We provide emergency services and also provide installations, repairs, and replacements as a part of routine services. Our air experts can also advise you about the air quality solutions so that this winter your home is not just warm but also healthy.