In summers, one rarely ever feels like doing anything apart from lazing in the cool and comfortable indoors. It is probably why getting your home ready for summer in advance is a good idea. After the harsh winter season, many things need to be checked and cleaned. Doing so while the weather is still good and forgiving will only be to your advantage. So, how does one prepare their home and air conditioner in West Palm Beach for summer? Well, that is precisely what we plan to answer through this informative and enlightening post/
How To Prepare Your Home For Summer?
Let’s take things from the top to see what all you need to do to make your abode summer-ready. Some of the activities can be carried out by the homeowner, but you will need professional help from others. When in doubt, asking for help from experts is always better than causing more damage to the property. Hence, don’t feel pressured to do things yourself. Knowing your shortcomings and accepting them does not make you a wimp. Instead, it will cut down on all the repair costs that you are likely to incur to correct your mistakes.
1. Check The Roof – One thing you should know is getting up on the roof on a blistering hot sunny day is almost impossible and completely avoidable. Your roof needs a thorough visual inspection to identify broken, missing, and loose tiles. Ideally, calling a roofing company for the inspection is a better deal as they have big ladders and are also trained to pick up the discrepancies which your eyes may miss. Also, if a professional does the inspection, you will know for sure that nothing was missed. Since they have the repair materials handy, there is no need to wait an extra day to buy the materials and complete the job. In one visit, they will guarantee a leak-proof roof.
2. Clean The Gutters And Pipes – Since one does not often get up on the roof, it is hard to understand how dirty the gutters can become over time. Dead leaves, dust, and debris can clog the gutters. Dirty gutters become a problem when the rainwater cannot flow down the pipes. Instead, it accumulates, causing dampness of the walls. The problem with these wet spots is that it propagates the growth of mold and mildew. Hence, instead of waiting for the rainy season, when the roof becomes dirty, you may want to clean the gutters and the pipes connected to it while the weather is still good. Also, remember to clean all the vegetation growing around the pipes as it, too, can cause clogging. This way, by the time monsoons, roll in, you will be cozy and comfortable indoors without having to worry about clogged gutters.
3. Check Windows And Screens For Gaps – These days, every home has a central heating and cooling system. In summers, keeping the house cool becomes an uphill task if there are gaps, cracks, or tears in the doors, windows, and screens. Therefore, before blaming the air conditioner when it fails to do the needful, one should always make sure there are no spaces from which the cold air can escape. Check all openings from both inside and outside. If you find any gaps, you can seal them by applying caulk. If the glass is cracked or shattered, get it changed by a carpenter. One other thing that you can do is add blinds, shades, or curtains on the windows facing east. It will help keep out the sun’s heat and assist your AC in making the house a relaxing place.
4. Schedule Preventive AC Maintenance – The preventive maintenance or annual tune-up of the air conditioner should always be carried out in spring before switching on the AC for the first time in the season. The idea is to eliminate all possible problems that may have started to develop during the winters while the AC was lying dormant. Hence when you do switch it on, it will be in tip-top shape and operate efficiently. A tune-up at this time makes the cooling unit reliable, so you need not worry about any unnecessary breakdowns or malfunctions.
5. Keep Insects, Bugs, And Critters Out – From time to time, one must do a visual examination of all drain holes and dark corners of the house to ensure no pests, rodents, critters, or bugs have made their home indoors. These can not only damage your property but also lead to incidents caused due to bitten wiring. Additionally, these little animals can also add to your health issues, especially if you or any other family member is allergic to their hair and dead skin cells. Keeping out insects, bugs, and critters is more of a necessity. If you find their droppings or crumbs of food where they shouldn’t be, you should contact an exterminator to help get rid of the infestation. The same person will also help find the source from where these little pests are entering your home. You can either seal these entry points yourself or get a handyman to do it for you.
The Bottom Line
Getting the home ready for summer is mostly about cleaning out the house thoroughly, scheduling a tune-up of all equipment on which you will be relying heavily to stay cool, finishing all upgrades, and basically ensuring that all is well indoors. A little work early on will save you much trouble during the hot weather. So gear up and make a list of things that need to be done and attack them one by one. Your one top priority should be the air conditioner, especially if you live in West Palm Beach.
Aztil Air Conditioning is a premier HVAC contractor serving throughout South Florida since 1981. We are a reputable company with a 100+ strong team of certified and experienced air experts. If you are yet to schedule the maintenance of your AC, now is probably the best time to do so. Along with tune-up, we offer a wide range of services like air quality solutions, duct cleaning, HVAC repairs, installations, etc. We are open 24/7, so if you wish to book an appointment, you can do so any time by calling +1-888-729-8452.