We as humans are used to communicating with each other about our wants and desires. An inanimate object like your AC cannot boast the same capability. The best it can do is show you signs that it requires some care. It is now entirely up to the owner to notice these signs and understand it’s time for AC maintenance.
Understanding when the AC needs maintenance is not rocket science. It is all about interpreting the signals that the system sends your way. And how would you know what the signal or sign is? That’s the easy part. When the cooling system needs repairs or maintenance, it will start doing things that were not there before. Initially, these signs might be hardly noticeable, but steadily their intensity will increase, and they will become impossible to ignore.
Understanding When The AC Needs Maintenance
1. Cooling Effectiveness Declines – There will be a subtle decline in the “cool” feeling one gets when indoors. In the beginning, the change is hardly noticeable, but slowly the decline in cooling effectiveness makes itself known in the form of discomfort, which should not exist with the AC running as before. A couple of things you can do this time is to check the thermostat to ensure the settings are correct, ensure all vents and registers are open, check the status of the air filters, and if they are dirty, change them. If none of these are contributing factors, it will help to think back to when your AC had its last maintenance. If it was not done before the start of the season, this is your cooling system telling you it needs one pronto.
2. Vents Blowing Warm Or Mildly Cool Air – If the temperature setting on the thermostat is ideal for supporting a cool environment and yet your AC is blowing warm air or barely cool air, it requires a tune-up. When the inside components of the AC become dirty, they prevent air from properly coming in contact with the evaporator coils. As a result, heat is not drawn out sufficiently from the air before being sent back indoors. Dust inside the AC may appear to be an inconsequential problem, but it is not so. Sadly, it can play havoc with its working. Cleaning the AC from inside is a professional job and a part of maintenance. Therefore, refrain from opening the AC to try and clean it yourself.
3. Very Little Or No Air Blowing From Vents – The AC is on, but there is barely any air movement from the vents. One possibility is that the fan setting on the thermostat is “Auto” and not “On.” If that be the case, change the fan setting to “On” and see if it makes a difference. If not, the next step is to confirm all vents and registers are open and there’s no obstruction in front of them. If all is well on this front as well, the problem could be the blower fan. Routine maintenance keeps proper tabs on the condition of all components. If there seem to be wear and tear issues, they will be immediately handled in an appropriate manner. Consequently, hardly any air movement might be your ACs way of telling; you skipped maintenance this season.
4. Appearance Of Strange Noises – Air conditioners are not supposed to make any noise. They are not absolutely silent but close to it. Therefore, any jarring sounds that were not heard before should raise a red flag. Sounds appear when internal components are completely worn out, some part has come loose or broken, or the system is under intense stress. Ideally, if you have been on top of AC maintenance, these sounds should never make an appearance. Maintenance takes care of all wear and tear-related issues, tightening of loose parts, lubricating of all moving parts, and timely identification of failing parts. If these issues are addressed well in time, you should be able to enjoy your cooling unit’s efforts without any distractions.
5. Awful Smells – Repulsive smells are a major turn-off, and if they invade your living space, it becomes most annoying. There is a possibility the AC is simply picking up the smell from one part of your house and spreading it everywhere. This possibility exists because the AC moves the indoor air only and does not bring in fresh air from outdoors. Nevertheless, if, in your case, it is unlikely the smell is picked up from elsewhere, the most probable culprit is the AC itself. Foul odors coming from the AC indicate internal AC problems. A burning plasticky smell indicates the heating of internal parts. A rubbery burning smell is a tell for burning wires, etc. Most of these problems could have been addressed by ensuring timely AC maintenance.
6. Increase In Indoor Humidity – A secondary function of the AC is to remove moisture from the air. The cold interiors are not just a simple result of removing heat from the air. Instead, it is a combined effect of heat and humidity removal. Only when the two happen together does your living space become comfortable. When the evaporator coils become dirty and mind you, it does not happen in a day; it tends to disrupt the process of moisture extraction. The indoor space starts feeling clammy. Your comfort and mood take a nosedive. Since cleaning is an essential part of the AC maintenance regime, we always advise homeowners and building managers to stay on top of it.
Understanding when the AC needs maintenance is a simple matter of interpreting the signals of your AC. You don’t have to be a genius to do that. Stay vigilant, and if something does not seem right, report it immediately. With regular maintenance, you should not suffer any ill effects of a poorly working AC.
If you have forgotten to schedule your AC maintenance, you can still do it. Call Aztil Air Conditioning at +1-888-729-8452. We are open 24/7, so you can book an appointment at any time. Ours is a family-owned, licensed, and insured business. All our technicians are certified and fully capable of carrying out HVAC installations, repairs, and maintenance. Place your faith in us, and we promise not to let you down.