When the AC breaks down on a hot summer day, it feels as if all hell has broken loose. But the truth is far from what our overactive imagination makes us believe. While still in the throes of a panicky knee-jerk reaction, reign in the horses, for it will not settle the problem. You can imagine numerous scenarios, but that will not make them true. It is as it is. So when you realize your AC has broken down, there are a few do’s, and don’ts that you need to follow.
AC Broken Down – What Not To Do
1. Don’t Panic – Panicking will not give anyone any answers. It will only result in errors of judgment, which one may come to repent later. Whenever the AC breaks down, remember things are not as bad as you assume them to be, especially when you have been on top of every maintenance schedule.
2. Don’t Switch The Unit On And Off Repeatedly – Turning the AC on and off repeatedly will serve no purpose other than raising your blood pressure and level of frustration. What is broken is broken. Until the cause is identified and remedial action is taken, the AC will not miraculously start working.
3. Don’t Open The Freezer Door – When the AC is not working, it is bound to increase the indoor temperature. Nevertheless, contrary to popular belief, opening the freezer will only add to your energy bills and do nothing for your physical comfort. So if you don’t want your perishables stored inside the freezer to spoil, don’t open its door.
4. Don’t Use Electrical Appliances – When the AC is not working, using indoor electrical appliances will only add to the temperature. It is because electrical appliances like the dishwasher, dryer, washing machine, etc., produce heat when they operate. It is best to unplug all the unnecessary appliances and prevent any heat build-up.
AC Broken Down – What To Do
Now it’s time to learn what to do when your AC breaks down:
1. Troubleshooting -The problem is often so small that there is no need to call the HVAC technician. Therefore, it is good to do a few minor checks before calling the contractor for help.
1. Check the thermostat. Most probably, it has run out of batteries and has stopped communicating with the AC. Replacing the old batteries with new ones will solve the problem.
2. Check the power supply. You might be making a hue and cry about the AC not working, but it could be because there is no power in your house or locality. If that is indeed the case, the AC will start working once the power supply is resumed.
3. Check the circuit breaker. During cases of a power surge or overheating of AC components, the circuit breaker may trip. Pushing it back into the “On” position will allow the AC to work as before.
2. Call The Technician – If the above checks turn up nothing, it means you should now place that call to your HVAC contractor for help. In This regard, the care you must take is not to fall prey to those who claim to do the job for very little. Industry standards are set to ensure the best interests of both the technicians and the customers. Anyone who charges below that, most probably, does not have his paperwork in order and must be operating under the radar. You can’t trust these guys to do a good job.
1. Draw The Curtains And Switch On The Fans – If the outdoor temperature increases, it’s best to draw the curtains. This will prevent the sunlight from heating the house rapidly. Switching on the fan is also a good idea as it will keep the air moving. As long as the air is circulating, you will be comfortable indoors.
2. Go Out – If the AC is not working and the technician will still take some more time to come, you can always go out. In case you’ve been putting off some outdoor tasks, no better time like now to get them done. If there’s nothing else, you can still go out to grab a bite. It will give you a break from cooking and also the intense heat indoors.
AC Broken Down – Know When To Call For Backup
Unnecessarily calling a technician is a waste of their time. While you are waiting, you, too, suffer the discomfort. We are not saying that you should take matters into your hands and start with the repairs. What we are asking you to do is carry out the basic checks before calling the technician.
AC repair jobs are highly technical and hence need to be tackled by only those who are trained and certified to do them. Any lapse in this core thinking may very well spell the end of your AC. Therefore, always look for reputable, licensed, and certified contractors to work on the system.
Don’t ever take any decision in haste, even when it’s things like a broken AC. Following a logical sequence of steps will give direction to your thoughts and help you understand whether there is a need to call the technician or not. Every homeowner must check the AC for power supply and thermostat setting before calling the big guns. The chances are that the culprit is one of the two. Nonetheless, if AC maintenance is not your top priority, it could be something more technical in nature. So if at your end all looks okay, call the HVAC contractor.
If your residential or commercial AC in West Palm Beach seems to be broken, call the air experts at Aztil Air Conditioning. We are a licensed, trained, certified, and experienced team of HVAC professionals who can handle any brand and any type of HVAC system. The good news is that all our services are extremely affordable and set as per the industry standards. Taking care of your heating and cooling equipment and catering to all its needs is our area of expertise. So suffer no more. Pick your phone and call us at +1-888-729-8452 to book an appointment.