Paying good money for your mini-split system only to find out that it does not power on is a crisis situation. Where you were expecting years of efficient service, suddenly there’s a disappointment and the feeling of being cheated. Today, we shall address an urgent concern, that is, what to do when the mini-split unit does not power on. Everything is not always as bad as it looks, so don’t get anxious. Secondly, read this post carefully as you will find many helpful tips.
Troubleshooting Tips When The Mini-Split System Does Not Power On
Before panicking and calling the HVAC contractor for help, here are a couple of checks that the homeowner themselves can perform. The idea is to rule out all those possibilities that you can fix yourself.
1. Check Whether The Unit Is Plugged – Its always good to check whether the mini-split system is still plugged to the power source or not. It may have accidentally got unplugged, or some family member may have done it on purpose. If done on purpose, it is advisable to find out the reason before plugging it back into the outlet. For all you may know, there was some suspected trouble with the cooling unit and so it was unplugged to minimize damage. In such a case, you should never connect it to the power source without a go-ahead from the HVAC technician.
2. Check Whether The Unit Is Receiving Power – The fist order of business is to check whether the other electronic appliances are working in your home. It is quite possible that there is a power outage and so nothing is operational. If they seem to be working fine and the problem is just with the mini-split system, you might want to check the circuit breaker. Maybe there was a power surge, and the circuit breaker tripped. Pushing it back into position will get your air conditioner working just like before. If that, too, does not work, check the fuse. There is a possibility that the AC has blown a fuse. Replacing the blown fuse with a new one will have your AC working fine.
3. Check Batteries In Your Remote – The mini-split systems are mostly remotely operated. If the batteries in the remote die, there is no way for the homeowner to switch on the air conditioner. Therefore, you might want to switch out the batteries in the remote to ensure that this is not the case. If it were, new batteries in the remote would get it working smoothly once again.
4. Incorrect Settings – Though it may sound silly, operator error can also be the cause of your mini-split air conditioner not powering up. There have been times when the HVAC technician reached on-site only to find out that the system was either not set to “On” or “Cool”. Until you key in the correct settings, the air conditioner will not work. So, before calling the HVAC contractor, verify that the cooling system is set to both “On” and “Cool”. This may happen by mistake or sheer forgetfulness, but these things do happen.
5. Poor Airflow – It may so happen that the air filters are clogged, and so there is almost no airflow due to which you get the feeling that the AC is not working. In truth, the AC is working, but due to blocked filters, there is no perceptible cooling. This happens because the obstruction does not allow the air to move freely. Replacing the clogged air filters with new ones will bring about definitive cooling and solve your problem.
What You Can Do To Fix The Problem
If the reason for the mini-split system not powering on was one of the above, one could take corrective action on their own. However, if none of those, as mentioned above, issues are identified, the safest bet is to call the air experts who are the trained HVAC technicians. Other than that, if you are attentive towards the annual maintenance of your AC, you are already on your way to doing things correctly. If not, you may want to start now as the annual maintenance is the most promising way to ensure that your mini-split system does not break down needlessly. That includes those instances when the unit does not power on.
Why Preventive Maintenance?
The annual preventive maintenance catches all budding troubles inside the AC. It goes a long way in ensuring that your mini-split system performs at the peak of its efficiency at all times without developing any major faults. The manufacturer, as well as the HVAC contractors, will always insist on sticking to the AC maintenance schedule as the life of your unit depends on it. If you want your AC to deliver full value for money operations, you will have to stick to the maintenance routine year after year.
Towards The End
After reading this post, you would have realized that there is a lot that you can do prior to calling the technician. The air experts at Aztil Air Conditioning always recommend that you do the necessary checks once. You may be pleasantly surprised to find that there is no need to call for professional help as the problem was minor. Nevertheless, if it seems out of your scope, always call the HVAC contractor. Your AC is an expensive piece of equipment, and it makes no sense to play guessing games with it.
If you wish to schedule the maintenance, repair, replacement, or installation of your heating and cooling system in West Palm Beach, give a call to the elite team of technicians at Aztil Air Conditioning. We are open 24/7 and can be reached at +1-888-729-8452.