One of the most significant reasons behind any residential or commercial building not cooling properly is leaking ductwork. It happens to be a source of significant energy loss, which puts tremendous pressure on the heating and cooling equipment rendering it vulnerable to faults, breakdowns, and malfunctions. It is precisely to counter these ill-effects that availing duct sealing services have now become a necessity.
Duct Sealing Is A Big Deal
At the very beginning, allow us to state one important fact – Duct sealing is critical to maintain the desired temperature indoors and extend the life of your HVAC system. If you believe that a bit of mixing of treated and untreated air causes no harm, this section will be an eye-opener for you. Leaking air ducts can cause the following notable problems:
1. Poor Indoor Air Quality – When the HVAC system circulates cool or warm air throughout the home or office building, it traps impurities or contaminants present in the indoor air and prevents them from going back into circulation. When the air inside the ducts mixes due to leaks, it gives entrance to air pollutants. These unwanted elements enter your enclosed structure and deteriorate indoor air quality.
2. High Energy Bills – Mixing air reduces the cooling and heating capability of your heating and cooling system. Due to this reason, the unit has to work way longer and way harder to maintain the same temperature as before. As a result, the power and fuel consumption increases, and, in turn, your utility bills become bigger.
3. Poor Heating And Cooling – When the hot and cold air mixes, it changes the temperature of the treated air entering the various rooms in the building. Needless to say, the air that enters the breathing space is not at the same temperature as desired. In summers, it will be a little warmer, and in winters, it a little colder. Hence, the occupants will not be as comfortable as before. The cracks and holes in the ducts compromise the heating and cooling.
4. Make HVAC System More Prone To Malfunctions – Ideally, there is no need for the HVAC system to operate under any kind of strain. Nevertheless, when the air ducts develop leaks, the system has to work for more than required, putting a definite strain on it. This undue strain causes overheating and excessive wear and tear of the components. As a result, the unit now becomes more prone to developing problems and malfunctioning. If the issue is not addressed well in time, it can even cause your system to fry.
Causes Of Air Leaks In The Ducts
Duct leaks can happen both on the supply side as well as the return side. So when we talk about leaks in the air duct, we mean both sets of ductwork. The common causes of air leaks in the ducts are:
1. Ducts are damaged due to corrosion or infestation by pests and critters.
2. Lack of proper connection of the registers and vents to their corresponding ducts in the walls, floors, or ceilings.
3. Sections of ductwork have collapsed due to age, accident, or some natural disaster like earthquake, cyclone, etc.
4. Loose points of connections where one section of the ducts attaches to another section.
Benefits Of Sealing The Ducts
Once you avail of the duct sealing services and plug all the sources of leaks, the following benefits await:
1. Easy To Maintain Desired Temperature – As soon as the mixing of treated and untreated air stops, you will notice that maintaining the desired temperature indoors is, after all, possible. Since there is no loss of air and infiltration of unconditioned air, once again, your home, office, or workspace will become comfortable and inviting, just as you wanted it in the first place.
2. Indoor Air Quality Is Not Compromised – Plugging the leaks stops the adulterated outdoor air from gaining entry indoors. As such, outdoor pollutants cannot find their way indoors and compromise indoor air quality. The air in your breathing space becomes clean and hygienic.
3. Energy Bills Within Range – Since there is no longer any need for the heating and cooling system to work longer and harder, there is no need for additional energy consumption. Therefore, the utility bills drop back into the normal range.
4. More Life To The HVAC System – No additional strain on the HVAC system in the form of long working hours gives it a fresh lease on life. If you continue with its preventive maintenance regime, you will now get many more years of life from your system.
Only Professionals For Duct Sealing Services
One should only employ professionals for duct sealing services and refrain from undertaking the task themselves. The ducts are relatively fragile in nature and need careful handling. A lack of training, equipment, and experience in handling the ducts can do more harm than good. It is precisely for this reason we continuously stress the need for qualified professionals for the job. Here are some reasons for your consideration that prove the importance of engaging reputable contractors for duct sealing services:
1. They are trained to look for holes and cracks deep into the ducts without causing any further damage.
2. They have all the necessary equipment and materials on hand to do a thorough job.
3. They are best qualified to tell you whether plugging the gap is a viable option or changing a section will be a better investment.
If you want to maintain a healthy, comfortable, and inviting atmosphere indoors, it is essential to ensure that your ductwork is completely sealed. If ever you face a dilemma where you think that the ducts have sprung a leak, look for a professional duct sealing services contractor. Almost all reputable HVAC contractors offer this service. Therefore, you will not have to look too far. An inspection of the ductwork will reveal its true condition, and based on the technician’s recommendation, you can approve the necessary action.
Residents of West Palm Beach, Florida, need not look too far if they fear leaking air ducts. You can engage the services of the elite team that consists of Aztil Air Conditioning for carrying out an inspection of the ductwork and subsequently its repairs. We offer complete HVAC solutions with world-class services at affordable rates. Our offices are open 24/7, so you can reach out to us at any time at +1-888-729-8452 to book an appointment. We are looking forward to serving you in whatever capacity we can. Book an appointment today.