When the AC stops working, wondering whether to repair or replace it is logical. Now, this is one question that has no straightforward answer as it depends on a number of things. Today, we are going to take you through a series of factors that you need to take into consideration. Once you have taken stock of all these concerns, the answer will be obvious.
Repair Or Replace AC – The Correct Option
Buying a new AC is a substantial investment and requires financial planning. Most families cannot afford to buy a new air conditioner on the spur of the moment as their pockets do not allow such a heavy expense without a budget. Hence, financially, the repair of AC always seems to be a better option because it is cheaper than replacing. Though being cheaper does not automatically make it the right option.
Repair Or Replace AC – Things To Consider
Here is a list of things that one needs to consider while thinking to repair or replace the AC:
1. Age Of AC – The first question that one needs to ask themselves is – how old is the AC? According to the rule of thumb, if your air conditioner is more than a decade old, upgrading to a new AC is definitely on the cards. It is mainly because constant use has taken a toll on the machine due to which the parts have suffered tremendous wear and tear. Additionally, in a span of 10 years, the technology has undergone a sea change. Your aged AC has almost become obsolete. So, sensibly replacing the AC is a viable solution.
2. Frequency Of Repairs – Some air conditioners demand repairs frequently. It may happen due to oversight in following a strict maintenance schedule, electrical problems, etc. Whatever be the reason, an AC that demands repairs quite often is not a very reliable machine. Hence, replacing may become the call of the day. On the other hand, if the frequency of repairs is low or rare, you can easily get away with timely repairs. The key here is to never ignore a problem. Leaving them unattended can worsen the situation and become the cause of increased frequency of repairs.
3. Cumulative Cost Of Repairs – Most HVAC technicians use the $5,000 rule to decide whether repairing or replacing the AC is the order of the day. According to the rule, multiply the total cost of repair in any given year by the age of the AC. If it exceeds $5,000, replacement makes sense, else not. For example, the total expense incurred on repairing the AC in 2019 is $500, and the AC is 4 years old at that time. So, the relative expense incurred is:
500 x 4 = $2,000 (Hence, repair the AC)
Similarly, if the expense incurred is $800 and the age of the AC is 10 years, the relative expense comes to:
800 x 10 = $8,000 (Hence, replace the AC)
This $5,000 rule is quite handy, and any homeowner can use it as a basis to decide the final outcome.
4. Efficiency Of AC – Over the years, the efficiency of the colling system declines. Sometimes due to ignoring its maintenance needs, and, at others, despite following a strict annual maintenance regime. Though in the second case, the fall will be very slow and gradual. However, in the first instance, the efficiency of the air conditioner will drop rapidly. The drop in efficiency can be felt through a drop in the cooling capacity of the AC and an increase in monthly power bills. When the power bills start increasing dramatically way beyond your expectations, and the cooling inside the home leaves much to be desired, replacing the AC is a better option. On the flip side, if that is not the case, you can go ahead with repairs.
How To Extend The Life Of AC?
Everybody desires to get their money’s worth from the equipment they buy. When it comes to an air conditioner or a central cooling system, things are no different. Extending the life of the AC is in the hands of the user. Surprisingly, AC is not a very demanding machine. It has just 3 core requirements:
1. Annual Maintenance – As a homeowner, make sure that you don’t take annual AC maintenance lightly as it can prevent many troubles from rearing their head. For this very reason, the annual tune-up is also referred to as preventive maintenance. Typically, it should be done before the summers, i.e., anytime during spring. Nevertheless, if due to extenuating circumstances, it cannot be scheduled, you can still get it done anytime during summers. Important is to get it done.
2. Cleanliness – Cleanliness of the unit and the surrounding area, is paramount to its health. If you want your AC to run for long years, its cleanliness should be taken care of. Even regular dusting of the unit exterior and trimming of bushes, plants, and trees growing around the outdoor unit is important. Do sweep up the dust, dirt, and other debris, like stones and fallen leaves around it regularly. These small steps go a long way in extending the life expectancy of your AC.
3. Timely Address Of Issues – Ignoring any AC issue will not make it go away. On the contrary, it will become a significant problem that will compromise your comfort at home and also the efficiency and longevity of the unit.
In The End
“Repair or replace AC?”. That is indeed a very difficult question. But if you diligently take into consideration the key points mentioned above, arriving at the answer will become an easy task. Even then, if you are in doubt, you can ask your trusted HVAC technician for his viewpoint. Ultimately, every system and situation is different, so the answer will vary from household to household.
Making tough decisions easy, the air experts at Aztil Air Conditioning will always point you in the right direction. To discuss the repair or replace AC option or to schedule maintenance of your heating and cooling system in West Palm Beach, call us at +1-888-729-8452. Our hardworking team of trained technicians will be glad to be of assistance. Our commitment to providing quality service will never leave you unsatisfied. Armed with thorough professional knowledge and years of experience, we are the best choice for looking after your HVAC. So, think no further. If there is something wrong with your AC or furnace, pick up the phone and call us now.