While doing AC troubleshooting, the main concern is to repair or replace? That is a million-dollar question. The dilemma is that repair is cheaper than the replacement. But if constant repairs are needed, it’s always better to replace the unit. Truth be told, you will have to depend on the experience and expertise of the AC technician to make the most suitable decision.
Always Have A Plan
You cannot decide between repair and replacement of your AC or HVAC at the toss of a coin. What you need is a solid plan. To make the best decision under the given circumstances, here are a few questions that you need to answer.
1. How much will the repair cost?
2. How long will the repair hold?
3. How much will be the replacement cost?
4. Which of the two options, repair or replacement, is suitable for your home in the long run?
5. Will the new unit pay for itself in efficiency, functionality, and reliability?
6. Are you in a position to bear the financial burden of the final decision?
AC / HVAC Warning Signs That Repairs Are In Order
For any of the symptoms mentioned below, you can straightforward think of repairs. The decision will not only get your AC working as good as new but ill also save you a more significant financial burden.
1. Sluggish Air Flow – If you feel that the cool air coming inside your house from the vents has become slow and sluggish, the chances are that your air filters are dirty. On the off chance that someone may have accidentally changed the fan settings on the thermostat, do have a peek at it as well. Mostly, it is one of these two reasons that the airflow has become sluggish. Another reason could be that the fan has become dirty and so not moving as fast as it ideally would.
2. Refrigerant Leak – The first time that it happens, you can ask your local AC technician to plug or seal the source of the leak and top up the refrigerant to the requisite level. A simple repair like this is all that is needed to make your air conditioner work like before. Sometimes due to corrosion and at other times due to heavy impact from stray debris can cause the coolant to leak. So, you needn’t panic and start looking into the replacement options.
3. Water Leak – A multitude of reasons could lead to water leaks from your AC. If the drip pan or the drain line gets clogged, it could happen. It could also happen when the condensation frozen over the coils melts. In the first case, you need to unclog the blockage so that the trapped moisture droplets can pass out through the drainpipe without any fuss. This is a relatively easy task; all it needs is a little vacuuming and plugging of cracks, if any. In the second case, ideally, there should be no freezing of coils. If the coils freeze, it may be because the cold air is getting trapped inside due to dirty air filters or because the system is short cycling. Changing the air filters will take care of the trapped cold air, and an AC technician can easily rectify the problem causing short cycling.
4. Noises – There are a plethora of reasons for the noises coming from the AC. Most of them are nothing to be greatly concerned about. However, they need to be dealt with as soon as possible. If left unattended, they can become bigger problems. In most cases, the noise can be handled by greasing the rubbing components and tightening of loose parts. In a few unfortunate cases, a broken piece may be the culprit and may require changing that particular part.
AC / HVAC Warning Signs That Indicate Imminent Replacement
Here are a few signs that point to the fact that your AC will need to be replaced very soon.
1. Frequent Breakdown – If your AC breaks down frequently even after regular and timely maintenance, it may be on its last leg. However, it is advisable that you take a second opinion from another contractor before jumping to any conclusions.
2. Costly Repairs – If the cost of repairing your air conditioner is constantly increasing, you may want to think about buying a new one. No amount of AC repair and troubleshooting is worth paying dearly through the pockets without any end in sight. It will only drain your finances and not offer any concrete solution. Again, take a second opining from a trained HVAC contractor to figure out the actual situation. Maybe your old technician is scamming you or is limited by his knowledge.
3. More Than A Decade-Old AC – In case your AC is more than 10 years old, you should not think twice about replacing it. Firstly, because technology is constantly evolving and offering better and improved solutions. Secondly, your system has become outdated and run through its productive life. Getting its spares will become an increasingly costly and challenging task.
No matter what, you should always consult a few trained contractors before making your final decision. Sometimes, a fresh perspective can help you identify the actual cause behind frequent break downs and costly repairs.
AC Troubleshooting – Repair Or Replacement?
As we spoke above, you cannot decide either way without consulting with a few HVAC contractors. No option is without its own merits and demerits. Keep these in mind while you are trying to decide on the best possible course of action. There are times when a repair will give you outstanding results, and at other times you have no other possibility than buying a new AC. The decision is very difficult for homeowners. At the end of the day, don’t just think in terms of the expense. Think also in terms of health, safety, comfort, and environmental impact. These considerations will help you make the most appropriate decision.
You can count on Aztil AC to help you figure out all the problems related to your heating and cooling system. Our team of trained technicians will not only answer all your concerns but will also assist you by providing reliable services. You can reach us anytime at +1-888-729-8452.