If your goal is to have a home that feels nice and looks clean, you can’t forget about the AC ducts. Although you can’t see inside them, it does not mean you can overlook them. What hides inside their length and breadth is a matter of guesswork. Nevertheless, you wouldn’t be off the mark if you were, to begin with, dust and dander (if you have pets). Apart from that, there’s pollen, VOCs, germs, and even mold. Suffice to say, instead of waiting to see what impact these have on your house and its occupants, it is better to take active measures that guarantee clean or at least reasonably clean ducts.
If you want spotless ducts, there’s no other choice than to hire professional AC duct cleaners. In the interim years, you can also take charge of some of the duct cleaning so that the gap between two professional cleanings can be as long as possible.
When To Go For Professional Duct Cleaning
1. If you have recently moved or are planning to move into a previously occupied house, book professional duct cleaning ASAP. Since you don’t know about the previous occupants’ habits or how well they kept the house, clean ducts will give you a fresh start without worrying about what hides in them.
2. If you don’t remember when you last had your AC ducts cleaned by professionals, it’s already long overdue. Ideally, one should get the ductwork professionally cleaned once every 5 years.
3. You are dealing with dirty ducts if you see dust blowing from the vents when the AC is switched on. If that is the case, no amount of cleaning will keep your home clean until you hire a professional ductwork cleaner.
4. If there is a black cottony substance around the vents, there’s a high probability of mold in your ducts. To get rid of all the mold colonies and spores inside the ducts, you will have to opt for their professional cleaning.
5. If you find signs of infestation by small critters in your house, it is best to be prepared that they have made their abode in the ductwork. In these cases, only the professionals can help.
6. If you have done any recent renovations or construction in the house, it would have generated a lot of dust and other particulate matter. Some of it would have settled inside the ducts, making them filthy. In such cases, professional duct cleaning is strongly recommended.
Should I Clean The Regular AC Duct?
Now the big question for today is, “Whether you should or should not clean the regular AC duct?” The answer is both “yes” and “no.” Allow us to explain it in a little more detail.
“Yes,” because clean surroundings make for clean ducts. However, many times we conveniently forget that the vents and registers and the grilles over them are also a part of the house and should be dusted and wiped clean as a part of the house cleaning routine. If these are clean, less dust and dirt will find their way inside the house. Moreover, the regular household vacuum cleaner is also good enough to clean a few feet of the ductwork. Hence, making that, too, a part of the house cleaning regime will ensure that the buildup inside the ducts is slow.
“No,” because if you thought that the cleaning you do regularly will suffice forever, you are way off the mark. Dust, dirt, pollen, and other particles will still enter the ductwork and make them filthy. Sadly, the equipment you use to clean the ducts is limited in power and reach. Therefore, homeowners can rarely ever do a thorough duct cleaning. Only professionals have the right equipment and knowledge to guarantee clean ducts.
How Should I Clean The Regular AC Duct?
Before we begin on the cleaning aspect, keep in mind that you can only clean some of the ductwork and not the whole of it. Being too ambitious may damage the ducts, so exercising restraint and caution is necessary.
1. Arm yourself with a clean washcloth and a long dust brush. Since the cleaning will likely disburse dust, cover your face with a cloth or wear a face mask. Also, wear protective goggles so that dust does not get into your eyes.
2. Uncover the vents and registers. Clean them with the brush to dislodge the dirt stuck on them and wipe them clean with a wet cloth. Now keep them aside.
3. Use the long handle brush to loosen the dust inside the exposed ducts. Go as far as possible. Now use the vacuum cleaner to suck out all the loosened filth.
4. Finally, put back the covers of the vents and registers, and that’s all you need to do.
Visible Changes After Duct Cleaning Done By You
1. The surfaces in your home will look clean for longer.
2. There will be some improvement in the airflow from the AC.
3. The efficiency of the cooling system will improve.
4. You may even see a reduction in odors in the house.
Precautions To Take When Cleaning The Ducts
1. Be gentle while dislodging the obstinate dust, dirt, and grime. Don’t use excessive force as it may damage the ducts.
2. When uncovering the vents and registers, keep the nuts and bolts safely as you will need them again when you put back the covers.
3. Keep a garbage bag close to collect and dispose of the filth from the ducts.
Not all of us are handy Manny’s, so if you feel uncomfortable doing the duct cleaning yourself, don’t despair. Do only that with which you are comfortable. Despite all you do, you will still need to get your AC ducts professionally cleaned if you want them spic and span from inside.
Aztil Air Conditioning provides professional duct cleaning services in West Palm Beach, South Florida. If you are in need of this particular service, we shall be glad to help you out. Our experienced team of professionals will take all care and precaution while cleaning the ducts. So there’s no need for you to worry. To book an appointment, call +1-888-729-8452.