When you live in Florida, you need a cooling system that can work long hours despite the sweltering heat and humidity. In short, you need a reliable air conditioner. The main question is whether your existing AC is up to the task or not? To have a dependable cooling unit, you must ensure its routine preventive maintenance and timely repairs as and when it is needed. Only a system that is well taken care of will see you through the toughest of the hot weather.
The time for annual AC maintenance is more or less fixed. It should be done anytime during the spring season. On the other hand, predicting the need for repairs is difficult. By the time we detect something is wrong, the AC has stopped working. Today, we shall help you learn about the signs you should be on the lookout for, which indicate the need for AC repairs.
Signs You Need To Schedule AC Repairs
The core of the problem is that we are not vigilant to the hints or signs that the AC drops about budding issues. If we were to judge the situation timely, there would be no need for any disruptions in our comfort.
1. Loud Noises – Thanks to technological advances, the air conditioners are no longer loud and noisy. At best, they are silent or operate with a gentle hum. In case your AC suddenly starts making a loud and jarring noise, it should raise a red flag. The noise has a reason like a loose or broken component, parts rubbing against one another, etc. Since all of these are abnormal occurrences, they need immediate resolution. When you hear your AC make any noise that was not there before, immediately switch off the unit and call your local HVAC technician.
2. Drastic Temperature Variations – Ideally, your AC should cool your entire home in the same proportion. Nonetheless, if you feel that some portions of your home are cooler or warmer than the rest, do not think of it as an inconsequential thing. If your home is not divided into zones, your whole home should have the same temperature. Hence, when you first notice the temperature variation, you should be worried about blower fan problems or leaking ducts. In any case, avoiding voicing your concerns will only add to the AC woes. It is best to let a technician come and look at what could be causing the hot and cold spots.
3. Frozen Air Conditioner – Ice formation on the evaporator coil is a sure sign of trouble. If you are fortunate, it could be simply because of insufficient airflow resulting from dirty air filters. Nevertheless, it could also happen because of a refrigerant leak. Now refrigerant leak is not something that you can detect or rectify on your own. You will need a professional AC maintenance specialist to identify the source of the leak, plug it, and top up the refrigerant to the prescribed level.
4. Steep Rise In Energy Bills – Despite routine preventive maintenance of the AC, if your energy bills are steadily climbing, you may have something to worry about. Ideally, the energy consumption month after month should follow a logical pattern, with peaks coming only during the hottest part of the season. Before and after that, there should only be standard consumption. If your electricity bills show only a steady increase, you may want a trained HVAC technician to inspect your unit for the possibility of a problem.
5. Insufficient Airflow – Inadequate airflow is one of the most common occurrences in an air conditioner which results in poor cooling of the house. If the cause of poor airflow is a dirty air filter, you can tackle the problem yourself. But if your air filters are clean and yet the air seems to be moving sluggishly, it could be because of a faulty motor. Once more, only an HVAC technician can tell you where exactly the problem lies.
6. Water Leaks – Electrical equipment and water leaks are a recipe for disaster. If you are in luck, the circuit breaker will trip and prevent any unfortunate event from occurring. Nevertheless, be well aware that a majority of home fires start because of a short circuit, so banking on your luck is not a good idea. When you notice signs of dampness or a water leak around your air conditioning unit, it may be time for AC repairs.
7. Frequent Short Cycling – When your air conditioner is appropriately sized for your home, there is no valid reason for its short cycling. Despite that, if you notice that the cooling cycles in your AC are happening more frequently, it would be in your best interest to call your HVAC technician for help. The problem could be a faulty contactor or relay, or if you are really unlucky, it may mean the time has come for you to buy a new AC.
Food For Thought
Every homeowner knows what is normal and abnormal when it comes to your AC. Your gut will tell you that something is not right. You may not be able to pinpoint what set off your radar, but whatever be the reason, don’t ignore the feeling. If nothing else, a timely inspection will give you peace of mind, or y0u will thank your lucky stars when the technician finds a problem that, if ignored, could have disastrous results on your pockets and comfort.
If you are a resident of West Palm Beach, Florida, and feel that your AC may be in need of repairs, your search for an HVAC contractor ends with Aztil Air Conditioning. We are a premier HVAC company operating successfully since 1981. With a 100+ strong team of fully trained, certified, and experienced technicians supported with fully equipped vans, we ensure quick service. Our services include HVAC installations, repairs, maintenance, duct cleaning, air quality solutions, etc. We are open 24/7, so you can book an appointment at any time by calling +1-888-729-8452. We are looking forward to hearing from you.