Most homes have several ventilation systems. Does that come as a surprise? Don’t be. In homes, there is usually a central heating and cooling system, so there is a ventilation system for that. Another ventilation system is for the electric chimney in the kitchen and yet another for the laundry dryer. These are just the most common ones. There may be others, but let’s not get into them now. The two most used ventilation systems in every home are the ones for the AC and drying the laundry. Our emphasis today will be on these two systems so that you can better handle their maintenance and cleaning.
A clothes dryer dries wet clothes by tumbling them inside a drum through which heated air passes. The hot air picks the moisture from the wet clothes and sends it out of the dryer using a fan. Behind every dryer is a vent, approximately 4 inches in size that expels the moisture-laden air outside. The air traverses from the clothes dryer to the outside of the house via a tube. This tube is connected at one end to the dryer and at the other end to a hole that is cut in the sidewall leading to the exterior.
Air Duct Vents
The central heating and cooling systems require an extensive network of ventilation to cool and warm each and every room of the house. This is possible only through intricate ductwork. The air ducts pass the treated air into every room for maximum comfort. However, they tend to become dirty and sometimes even clogged if they are not cleaned. Usually, its dust, dirt, dander, house pests and critters which cause maximum damage to them.
Importance Of Dryer Vent Cleaning And Air Duct Cleaning
Both dryer vent cleaning and air duct cleaning are important. Some homeowners don’t give much heed to either and others to just the air duct cleaning. Either way, both approaches are wrong as the one that is not cleaned can later become a hazard.
1. Importance Of Dryer Vent Cleaning – It is mostly the lint from the clothes that tends to block the dryer vent. As a result, the hot moisture-laden air is unable to find its way outside and remains trapped inside. Additionally, the clothes also don’t dry properly and remain slightly moist. In extreme cases, this blockage can become a fire hazard. Therefore, it is necessary to clean the dryer vent along with the lint trap for best results.
2. Importance Of Air Duct Cleaning – Blockages in the air duct reduce the efficiency of your HVAC system. Your house is unable to reach a comfortable temperature due to the restrictions in the airflow. Not only that, but it also puts the unit under a lot of strain. As a result, it consumes more power, breaks down often, and slowly and steadily runs the system to the ground. If you want to prevent these things from happening, air duct cleaning is the only answer.
Dryer Vent Cleaning And Air Duct Cleaning – How Does It Happen?
Knowing what the cleaning process involves is always a good option as it prepares you in advance about what to expect. So here is what goes into dryer vent cleaning and air duct cleaning.
1. Dryer Vent Cleaning – Dryer duct cleaning begins at the base where the duct is connected to the dryer. From there, it covers the entire distance of the duct until the other end, which is the exterior, is reached. In the process, all trapped debris, including any inflammable lint, is removed from the inside of the duct. This job can take anywhere between half an hour to one hour.
2. Air Duct Cleaning – Air duct cleaning is a more extensive process as it covers each and every duct in every single room. Herein, all the ducts, vents, and any other component of the ventilation system are thoroughly cleaned using a special truck-mounted and high powered vacuum cleaner. Ideally, a thorough job takes a couple of hours though it may take even longer if you have a big house.
How Often Should Dryer Vent Cleaning And Air Duct Cleaning Be Done?
There is no scientifically proven set timeframe in which one needs to undertake dryer vent cleaning and air duct cleaning. However, here is what the experts still suggest:
1. Dryer Vent Cleaning – Every homeowner should see to the dryer vent cleaning at least once to twice a year. Getting it done every 6 months is the best option, but if for some reason you can’t, cleaning it once a year is strongly advised.
2. Air Duct Cleaning – Recommendation from experts, say that air duct cleaning should be done at least once in 5 years. Although, if you reside in s place where there is a lot of dust in the air or if you are allergic to pollens and such, you can do it more often.
Use Cleaning Professionals
Dryer vent cleaning and air duct cleaning should always be done by professionals. We stress on using professionals as they do a thorough job, using proper equipment and adhering to all safety standards. As homeowners, one can at best do a superficial cleaning but not an extensive one, as is really required. Finding reliable professionals is not very difficult. You can always ask your relatives, friends, and neighbors for a recommendation. Not only that, but you can also search for a local contractor online who has a good reputation. However, we strongly suggest that you check and verify their credentials.
Residents of West Palm Beach, Florida, can contact the professionals at Aztil AC for air duct cleaning. We provide 24/7 emergency services, so anytime is a good time. You can reach out to us on +1-888-729-8452. Our team of technicians is the best and will leave you a satisfied customer. We are looking forward to helping you make your home a more comfortable place.