Indoor air quality is often a thing of grave concern. Since the air inside the home is the same that you breathe in, the quality of air has a major bearing on your health. We are so concerned about the poor quality of the air outside that more often than not, we forget about the quality of air indoors. Nonetheless, thanks to raising awareness, most homeowners are now concerned about improving and maintaining the quality of indoor air.
Effective Ways To Improve Indoor Air Quality
1. Install A Good HVAC System Professionally – A professionally installed, properly sized, and a trusted brand HVAC system is highly effective in controlling the entry of pollutants from outside. The filters ensure that allergens and contaminants do not find their way indoors. Also, filtered fresh air from outside dilutes the air present inside and reduces the concentration of unwanted particles.
2. Frequently Change The Air Filters – Air filters trap the contaminants and restrict their entry into the circulating air. To maintain their effectiveness, the air filters should be changed regularly. Replace the old filters with one that is recommended by your AC manufacturer and has the highest permissible MERV rating.
3. Use Air Purifying Potted Plants Indoors – There are many plants that thrive indoors and, at the same time, act as air purifiers. The most popular and readily available ones are aloe vera, snake plant, spider plant, lady palm, etc. Indoor plants not only add color to the surroundings but also look aesthetically beautiful in addition to their air cleansing properties. Place these plants in all your rooms and expose them to sunlight intermittently so that they stay healthy and make your living environment better.
4. Professional Cleaning Of Carpets And All Upholstery – Most germs reside in the carpets and cling to the sofa fabric and curtains. It is imperative to get all your upholstery and carpets properly cleaned by the professional cleaners. Washing them at home, on your own, may not deliver as effective results as professional cleaning.
5. Professional Cleaning Of Air Ducts – Another area of the home that suffers neglect are the air ducts. They are often the dirtiest place due to inaccessibility. The ducts are long networks of pipe running through every room. You need an extremely high-powered vacuum cleaner to suck out all the dust, dirt and allergen that reside inside it. Since a regular household vacuum cleaner cannot do that job, you need professional help in addressing this issue. There are many HVAC companies that provide duct cleaning as a part of indoor air quality service in West Palm Beach.
6. Fix The Leaks – Leaks cause water puddles and dampness inside the home. Where there is dampness, mold and mildew formation is a given. Mold spores tend to spread through the circulating air and give birth to new colonies. These spores can cause skin irritation as well as breathing problems. Overall, a home that has mold spores in the air has poor air quality. To get rid of mold, you need to clean up its infestation and fix all sources of a leak. It means fixing the plumbing problems and a tune-up of the HVAC to ensure no frozen coils and leaks through the drip pan.
7. No Smoking Indoors – Nobody should smoke indoors. Homes that have a cigar and cigarette smoke present in the air suffer from poor air quality. Everybody knows that cigarette smoking is injurious to health, and so is passive smoking. If you smoke inside your home, the circulating air picks it up keeps circulating it back and forth. It is like continuous passive smoking without your knowledge.
8. Proper Humidity Levels – When the humidity levels are high, there is a proliferation of mold and dust mites. Most modern-day HVAC systems have humidity control. However, you should know what the proper humidity level should be in each season to adjust it. Your HVAC company can give you this little tidbit of information. In case you have an older HVAC unit, you can buy a humidifier or dehumidifier for your home separately and set it up with your furnace. It will help control the indoor air quality of your West Palm Beach home.
9. Brush You Pets Outdoors – Pet hair and dead skin cells often deteriorate the quality of indoor air. A healthy practice is to keep your pets clean and brush them often and that too outdoors. Vacuum the carpets and other areas of the home to catch all stray dander.
10. Ventilate Your Home – Fresh air can do wonders for the quality of air inside your house. It helps get rid of stagnant air and brings in fresh, clean air from outside. In case you live in a city, try ventilating your home either early in the morning or late in the evening. At these times, the traffic is less, so the probability of bringing in more polluted air is greatly diminished.
Other Tips To Improve Indoor Air Quality And Curb Allergies
1. Carry out annual maintenance of your HVAC system to keep it spick and span and in perfect working order.
2. Limit the use of aerosols in your home. They add to the suspended impurities indoors and make the air quality bad.
3. Use paints that don’t have any scent.
4. Plants more trees and plants outside in the front lawn and backyard.
5. Refrain from using the HVAC when your home is under maintenance or any form of construction.
6. Use air purifiers.
Indoor Air Quality Service West Palm Beach
Monitoring the indoor air quality and improving it is paramount to the good health of your family. Thankfully, there are so many things that you can do without making any drastic changes to your way of life.
Aztil Air Conditioning provides a variety of services that help improve and maintain the indoor air quality of your West Palm Beach home. If you need any help or assistance or have any queries, feel free to contact us anytime. We provide 24/7 emergency services so that your comfort is never disturbed.