The air conditioner is your lifeline in summers. Places, especially like Florida, which predominantly has a hot and wet climate, see extensive wear and tear of air conditioners. Despite routine maintenance, there will come a time when replacing your old AC becomes necessary. All machines have a useful product life beyond which if you operate it, keeping it in working order becomes expensive. At such a time, the right thing to do is to buy a new one.
New AC selection is not an easy task. You can’t just go to the market or on an online portal and buy the one that captures your attention. In the last ten years when you bought your existing air conditioner the technology has changed, and so have your needs. Nonetheless, if you don’t wish to make the wrong decision, you still have to ask yourself a few basic questions. Today, we shall deal with these questions. Before we do that, let us be clear, no matter what, these questions will still hold valid even years from now.
Is It Really Time To Buy A New AC?
The first thing to figure out is whether you really need to replace your old AC. New AC selection makes sense only if your existing AC has become either too expensive to maintain or towards the end of its useful product life. Here are some questions that you need to ask yourself:
1. Is Your AC 10 Years Old Or More? – If your answer is “Yes,” you will notice that its upkeep and maintenance has become an uphill task. It is due to the unavailability of spares and technology becoming obsolete.
2. Is Your Energy Bill Constantly Increasing? – If your energy bill is constantly increasing, it is because you bought an incorrectly sized AC. Your energy spikes will vanish only when the AC is appropriately sized for your home.
3. Does Your AC Use an R-22 Refrigerant? – R-22 refrigerant has already been phased out. In case of a refrigerant leak, purchasing reclaimed R-22 will be extremely difficult and overly expensive.
Questions To Ask During New AC Selection
Now that it is clear you need to buy a new cooling system, these are the questions you need to ask yourself:
1. What Is My Budget? – The first and foremost question is figuring out the money you are willing to pay for the AC. A common mistake that most people commit is not taking into account the cost of installation. So work out your budget and factor for the installation expense as well.
2. Is The Existing Ductwork Up To Scratch Or Are You Willing To Invest In New? – Somes homes have no pre-existing ductwork. In their case, one needs to choose whether one is ready to bear the additional expense of installing it or not. Similarly, some homes have ductwork but in a very poor condition requiring complete rework. They, too, have to make the same choice. This choice will help narrow down your option to a ducted system or a ductless system.
3. Do You Wish To Go Green? – If you wish to go green, heat pumps are the way to go. They work on the principle of transferring energy and require no fuel. But, these systems are costly. Though keep in mind states give special subsidies to make them a more enticing option. Answering this question will further limit the options.
4. Do You Wish To Cool One Room At A Time Or Create Zones? – Some people are very put off with the idea that their HVAC system cools the entire home when switched on, even if it is not called for. This leads to unnecessary wastage of power. You can choose between cooling each room independently or creating zones to gain greater flexibility. If you choose to cool each room independently, your choice is made. You obviously need a mini-split system.
5. Do You Want More Energy Efficiency? – If more energy efficiency is your criteria, you will have to purchase an air conditioner with a higher SEER rating. As you move up the chart in terms of SEER, the cost of the AC will increase. When purchasing a new AC, it is always better to skip one level of SEER. It will help you gain more in terms of savings. Another facet of energy efficiency is that you may want to explore the option of an inverter AC.
6. Do You Want A Higher MERV Rating Air Filter? – With the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, people have now become conscious of the value of a higher MERV filter. Nonetheless, you cannot use a higher MERV air filter if the manufacturer does not recommend it. Doing so will put your air conditioner under strain, and it will not be able to give the best output. Your only choice is to actively seek an AC that can use the highest possible MERV filter without compromising its working.
The air conditioner is a significant investment. One, wherein there is no scope for errors. Any mistake will have considerable financial repercussions. Asking yourself the right set of questions will steer you in the right direction. Based on your budget and requirements and using the above questions, you can choose wisely. You may have to compromise on a few factors, so be clear on those aspects that are absolutely important and are must-haves. Do remember, the more features you desire, the more expensive the unit is going to become.
To remove any lingering doubts and confusion, the residents of West Palm Beach, Florida, can seek assistance from the air experts at Aztil Air Conditioning. We are a premier HVAC contractor operating successfully since 1981. We also offer a full suite of HVAC services, including installations, repairs, maintenance, air duct cleaning, and air quality solutions for both residential and commercial buildings. Our offices are open 24/7 and 365 days a year, even during the holidays. To book an appointment, you can contact us at any time. Just pick up the phone and call at +1-888-729-8452.