The desire to have an immaculate and spotless home is becoming strong amongst the masses. It’s not as if the urge was not there earlier. It was limited to things that we or the others could see. Sadly, there are also parts and portions of the abode that are hidden from view. These are the ones that suffer the most neglect. One such indispensable part of your residence is the air ducts. Thanks to the rising awareness about indoor air quality, homeowners are now consciously planning and looking into finding the best way to clean the central air ducts
Why To Clean Central Air Ducts?
Over the years, the air that passes through the ducts deposits gust, dirt, dander, pollen, and even bacteria, etc., within the ducts. These stick to its walls, and a steady build-up starts happening from then on. Since the ducts are rarely given a second thought, let alone a good cleaning, they become really filthy. It compromises the quality of air passing through the ducts and raises concerns about indoor air quality. To eliminate any chances of air contamination through the ducts, it is necessary to clean central air ducts.
Ductwork And Its Parts
The ductwork is a long tube-like structure that branches at frequent intervals depending on the shape and size of the house. Cleaning the ducts means cleaning this complete network. It consists of the –
1. Air ducts
4. Air filters
Cleaning the ducts alone is not enough. So when we talk about cleaning the air ducts, it means cleaning the vents and registers and replacing the clogged air filters as well.
Who Should Clean The Air Ducts
Air ducts are fragile and require care while handling. Being rough or exerting too much pressure can damage them easily. Therefore, when it comes to the best way to clean the central air ducts, we recommend you only hire licensed professionals for the job. They are trained for this job and know the precise manner in which to proceed. Some of the key benefits of using professional duct cleaners are –
1. They have the appropriate equipment to complete the job, which is industrial-grade vacuum cleaners having long and flexible hoses.
2. They know the exact care they need to exercise to do the job properly.
3. They are insured, so any damage they cause does not come out of your pockets.
Why Can’t You Clean The Central Air Ducts?
There are a couple of reasons why you should not clean the central air ducts yourself.
1. The residential vacuum cleaner is no good when it comes to cleaning the ductwork. One, it is not powerful enough, and two, it does not have a long enough hose to reach deep inside the ducts. So even at its best, it will only do little good.
2. You are limited by knowledge. The YouTube tutorials are not good enough to teach how gentle you need to be with the ducts. Sadly, if you do any damage with the DIY cleaning routine, you pay for the repairs yourself.
The Best Way To Clean Central Air Ducts
If you still want to do the job yourself, knowing the best way to clean the central air ducts will be of big help. So here’s how you need to proceed –
1. Uncover The Vents – The first step is to expose the ductwork. To do that, remove the vent covers, and by that, we mean both the supply and return air vents. Now you shall be able to see some of the ductwork.
2. Clean The Covers – The vent covers may be in the form of grilles or registers with dampers. Clean all of these as best as you can, making sure you don’t damage them. The best would be to use a brush and a rag to loosen the dust and grime and then wipe it clean.
3. Loosen The Dust In Ductwork – A part of the ductwork, even though small, is accessible to you. It is within easy hand reach. So your first object should be to loosen all the dust in all of the accessible portions of the ductwork.
4. Suck Out The Loosened Dirt– Next, use your regular household vacuum cleaner and suck out all the filth you have managed to loosen. If you can hire an industrial vacuum cleaner and are adept at using it. You can try reaching as far as possible into the ducts and clearing them out. But this depends on how comfortable you are in using them.
5. Replace The Vent Covers – Once you have cleaned as much of the ductwork as possible, replace the vent covers (both grilles and registers).
6. Change The Air Filters – Now would be a good time to change the filthy and blocked air filters of the HVAC system. If they are not clean, they will not be able to trap the impurities present in the indoor air and make the ducts dirty faster than before.
How Often Should You Clean The Air Ducts?
You should see to cleaning the air ducts every couple of years. If you live with pets or in a really polluted area, consider getting it done every three years. In all other cases, once in five years is the ideal time period.
Immediate Benefits Of Clean Air Ducts
Well, this is one of the first things you should have asked, but it’s never too late. So here are the immediate benefits of clean air ducts –
1. Any odor that had its source in the ducts will vanish.
2. The indoor air quality will improve.
3. You will be rid of all or any infestation in the ducts.
4. You will no longer have to worry about mold in the ductwork.
As We Close
Today, we have tried to answer all the pertinent questions related to the cleaning of the central air ducts. Our directions in tackling the job yourself should help you do a decent job. Despite that, we strongly recommend you still go with a professional duct cleaner to get your ductwork cleaned. There is no one better and more thorough than them.