Mini-split systems are the latest rage. Why? Because they don’t require additional expense in terms of installing expensive ductwork. If your house has no ductwork, there’s nothing to worry about. A mini-split system will do the job beautifully.
A critical thing about a ductless system is its location. If you choose the wrong place to install it, you will find the comfort lacking. The unit may find it straining to heat and cool the house appropriately. Therefore, one must wisely choose the place of its installation.
Before we talk about the best place to install a ductless mini-split AC, it’s best to learn a little bit about the system.
Number Of Units Involved
Like any other heating and cooling system, a mini-split system consists of two units. These are:
1. The Indoor Air Handler – This unit is installed inside the house. Typically, you will need one air handler per room. If the room size is large, you may need even more.
2. The Outdoor Compressor – The compressor is installed outdoors. Every home needs just one outdoor unit for the house. You can connect it to multiple air handlers.
The Way A Mini-Split System Works
In a mini-split system, individual indoor units or air handlers are installed in each zone or room. This allows each room to do its own heating and cooling through a dedicated fan and evaporator coil assembly within the air handler. Each air handler is connected to a common compressor unit via a tubing of refrigerant lines which passes through a hole in the wall, two to three inches wide. The outdoor unit compresses the refrigerant, and the subsequently cooled air is sent indoors through the air handler.
Installation Of The Mini-Split System
1. The Indoor Unit – The air handler is usually installed on the wall of the room or zone. The only consideration is that it should be on one of the exterior walls. It means the wall on which the air handler is installed, its opposite side should face the outside.
2. The Outdoor Unit – The outdoor unit should be installed in an open area over an even surface. An imbalanced unit will never work optimally.
The Ideal Place To Install A Ductless Mini-Split AC
Let’s now talk about the ideal place to install the mini-split system. Location matters because the efficiency of the complete system depends to a vast extent on where it is installed. Even a tiny miscalculation can have a dramatic effect on both comfort and power consumption.
1. Installing The Indoor Unit – The indoor unit can be mounted on the inner side of any exterior wall. Now, two critical things need to be taken into consideration here.
1. The first is the height at which you mount it on the wall. If it is placed too low, the air circulation will not be proper because furniture and furnishings will come in its way. Similarly, placing it too high will mix cold treated air with the warm air that rises above, which is a wastage of energy. An HVAC technician can tell you the height at which the air handler will work the best. The minimum requirement is that the air handler should have at least two inches of free space from the ceiling, and it should be eight to ten feet from the floor.
2. The second thing is that one should not install the air handler in a corner. Installing it in a corner will lead to hot and cold areas within the room. If you desire equal cooling throughout, you should mount it at the center of the wall. This will ensure equal distribution of the treated air. So your room will have an even temperature throughout.
2. Installing The Outdoor Unit – The outdoor unit needs to be installed in an open space where air movement is unrestricted. To that effect, you should consider these things:
1. Never cage the outdoor unit in a fully closed structure. If you must, to protect it, construct a solid cage-like structure from which the air can pass through easily.
2. The compressor unit should be mounted on even ground or roof, as may be the case. If there is no flat surface, the first thing a technician must do is construct a flat platform-like structure over which the unit can be mounted. The compressor is heavy and, hence, the platform should be strong enough to bear its weight.
3. There should be no trees or bushes growing around the compressor. They will not only act as an impediment in the free flow of air but may also be a hazard to the unit’s safety in case of strong winds or heavy rainfall.
4. Lastly, the place where the outdoor unit is installed should be easy to access. This is important from a repairs and maintenance point of view. If it’s difficult to access, it is also difficult to work upon. So even an easy job may become challenging. Also, the HVAC contractor may charge you extra to cover for additional time spent and safety measures adopted due to its tricky location.
The Crux Of The Matter
For every heating and cooling system, one needs to choose with care where it is installed. Homeowners are typically not well aware of the best location. Although you can give your choices to the contractor, it is still best to go with the technician’s knowledge and expertise.
If you want to install a mini-split system in your West Palm Beach, Florida home, contact Aztil Air Conditioning. We will take into consideration your thoughts and advise you of the most suitable installation location. Once we are on the same page, your trained and certified HVAC technicians will conduct the mini-split system installation. In the long term, you can also contact us for repairs and maintenance needs. We shall be glad to be of service. Our offices are always open, so you can contact us anytime at +1-888-729-8452 to book an appointment.