On a hot and sultry day, if your air conditioner blows warm air, you are in for the most excruciating time of your life. These days the homes are so well insulated that there are very few openings from which the fresh air can blow in and cool your home. So your dependability on the AC to provide indoor comfort increases dramatically. At such times, an air conditioner blowing warm air is a nightmare that one can have to deal with.
Air Conditioner Blowing Warm Air
There could be several reasons, ranging from simple to complex, that might be the cause of your air conditioner blowing warm air. If you want to figure out the most probable cause before calling your local HVAC technician, here is some valuable insight.
1. Check Thermostat Is Not Set To “Heat” – This may sound like a silly notion, buy its better to check that somebody has not mistakenly changed the thermostat setting to “Heat”. Such things do happen, so it’s better to be sure. If it’s set to “Heat”, change it back to “Cool”, and hopefully that’s all that was really wrong.
2. Fan Setting On Thermostat Is Not “On” – Many homeowners don’t pay much attention to the fan settings on the thermostat. They assume setting it to “AUTO” is fine. The auto setting means that the fan will work only when the AC is cooling the home. Once the desired temperature is reached, the cooling cycles off, and so does the fan. Switching the setting to “ON” means that the fan will work even when the AC is not cooling. You may also want to set the fan to the appropriate speed. If the set speed is too low, you may not find any perceptible change in the comfort of your home. Adjust is according to your and family’s requirements. Expect to feel a visible difference in the coolness of your home once you make these modifications on the thermostat.
3. Airflow Restrictions – Dirty coils, due to lack of annual maintenance of the heating and cooling system, and dirty air filters can cause airflow restrictions. When that happens, an adequate amount of cool air does not flow out of the vents making your home feels warm and clammy. Regular annual maintenance and frequent changing of the air filters usually takes care of this problem.
4. No Electricity To Compressor Unit – An AC usually has two units. The one that is installed outdoors is the compressor unit, and the one inside is the air handler. Now, the air handler can blow in cool air only if the compressor unit is functioning. If it isn’t, there’s no way your home will cool down. It is important to check whether the compressor is even working or not. If not, then the chances are that it is not getting power supply. This could happen if somebody manually switched off the power supply to the compressor or if the circuit breaker tripped or the AC blew a fuse. Accidently switching off the power is not a big deal, switch it back on. However, if there is a circuit breaker trip or if the AC blew a fuse, the best option is to call an HVAC technician. He is the most qualified person to figure out what caused the trip. Until the reason is known and dealt with, it’s best to leave things as is.
5. Low Refrigerant Level – Often, in old air conditioners, corrosion of the evaporator coils leads to cracks and holes. Over time, the refrigerant may leak out of these and become lesser and lesser in quantity. To provide adequate cooling, it is necessary for every AC to have the prescribed level of the refrigerant. The level of refrigerant is not something that a homeowner can access. Only an HVAC technician has the necessary tools to gauge its level. If necessary, they will even fix the holes and cracks and top up the refrigerant. Once that is done, the problem of the air conditioner blowing warm air should go away on its own.
6. Leaks In Air Ducts – Homes that are old and where the condition of the ducts is not of prime importance may suffer from leaky ducts. It could happen due to improper maintenance or infestation by critters. Sometimes a return air duct may be broken or disconnected, causing outside air to get sucked in. It may even suck in untreated air from the attic, where the insulation is mostly poor. When warm air mixes in with the cool air, it increases the temperature of cold air, thereby making it warmer. Again, in either case, the situation needs to be fixed before things return to normal. To do that, you have to call in the heating and cooling experts as they are the only ones equipped to remedy the situation.
Why Call The Heating And Cooling Experts?
It is in your best interest to always call in the experts whenever there is a problem with your heating and cooling system. They have the technical know-how along with the proper equipment to take care of the issue on-site. Allowing a questionable contractor to do the job at a fraction of a cost may lead to expensive repair bills in the future. Not only that, but their inexperience and limited knowledge may also put you and your family at risk. Think of your family’s safety, along with the life of your HVAC and make the wisest decision. With an experienced technician, there will be no room for regrets as they take their work seriously.
If you are a resident of West Palm Beach and need immediate help with your air conditioner blowing warm air, look no further than Aztil AC. Our team of trained technicians will resolve all your heating and cooling problems quickly and efficiently. We even provide 24/7 emergency services so you can contact us at any time at +1-888-729-8452. Our mission is to make your home a comfortable abode by meeting all your HVAC needs and addressing all the problems that you may face in its respect.