Technological changes may seem overwhelming, but that does not make them bad. In fact, these changes all incorporate improvements that make our life easier. Although glitches happen now and then, sometimes due to understanding problems and other times due to technical faults, try to be optimistic and plow through. You must be wondering why we are turning so philosophical? Wonder no more because today we discuss relatively new technology in smart thermostats. It is called the NEST thermostat and why it isn’t running right for you.
Nest is a smart thermostat from Google. It replaces your old digital thermostat on the wall. The benefit of using Nest is that it is an electronic device that is WiFi-enabled and has learning capabilities. Its self-learning ability is one of its biggest selling points. It allows homeowners to manage their HVAC energy bills by adopting an energy-efficient program as churned by the thermostat keeping your routine and preferences in mind.
A Few Facts About Nest Thermostat
1. The first week you install the Nest thermostat, it starts learning your preferences.
2. You can adjust the thermostat settings through an app installed on your phone or via the web browser on the laptop.
3. The thermostat can also be connected to Alexa or Google Home for voice control.
4. The Nest thermostat has a round wheel-like control mechanism, which you spin and click, to make a selection.
5. The Nest is so smart that it uses the phone to detect when the home is occupied and when not. When everyone leaves, it goes into energy-saving mode.
When Things Don’t Work As They Should
Unfortunately, like every device, even the Nest thermostat acts up from time to time. It does not mean you invested in useless technology. It just means you may have to do a little more than others to get it working once more. Considering all the benefits it gives, a little extra work is not too much to ask for.
Why Your Nest Thermostat Isn’t Running Right And How To Repair It
Before we begin with what is not working fine, we are assuming that you have made sure that your Nest thermostat is indeed compatible with your heating and cooling system. That is the first thing you should ensure before purchasing the device because if it isn’t, there’s no way it will work appropriately. Despite that, if your Nest thermostat is not running correctly, here are a few things that could be wrong:
1. Wiring Is Compromised – When your Nest thermostat is not heating or cooling your home adequately, there is a possibility that the wires have not been joined properly. Mostly questionable wiring jobs happen when homeowners try to install the thermostat on their own. Even one incorrectly paired wire will test the capability of the device and the level of your patience.
How To Fix It – Thermostat installations should only be done by HVAC technicians. They are trained for such jobs and know clearly which wire goes where. If your thermostat is suffering from a botched wiring job, it is time to call your HVAC technician to rewire it. They will begin with turning off the power to the HVAC system. Next, they will gently pull the round control wheel to remove the Nest thermostat from its base. If the display screen continues to glow, don’t worry. It is because the thermostat has its own internal battery powering it. The base is then pulled out to expose the wiring, which the technician will correct and reassemble the thermostat in its status quo position.
2. Rebooting Is Required – One thing we have realized with smart devices is that when all looks fine and yet they don’t work fine, it is best to reboot them. It’s something you must be doing even with your smartphone when it starts behaving weirdly. You power it off, wait for a few minutes, and restart it. The Nest thermostat is no different. Rebooting or restarting is often the answer to most of its problems.
How To Fix It – To restart or reboot the Nest thermostat, begin by killing the power supply to it. Here’s how to do it. Press down the thermostat ring and hold for around 10 seconds until the screen turns off. Now, let go of the ring. Wait for a few minutes and press the ring again until the screen lights up to initiate the restart. Wait for the thermostat to complete the reboot process, and then program your settings.
3. Inadequate Electricity – Inadequate supply of electricity to the Nest thermostat can cause several problems like poor battery life, frequent disconnects from Wi-Fi, unanticipated delay messages, the heating and cooling system turning on and off unexpectedly, etc.
How To Fix It – Typically, this problem arises due to HVAC wiring issues. There are several ways around it, but they are best handled only by professionals in the field. Therefore, we strongly advise you to call for professional help when facing such an issue. There’s nothing you can do to sort it out.
4. HVAC Maintenance Issues – What you may assume to be a thermostat problem may actually be an issue arising due to missed or overdue maintenance. It could be a way for your HVAC system to let you know that it’s time for the annual preventive maintenance.
How To Fix It – In these cases, you have no choice but to book the maintenance or tune-up of the heating and cooling unit as soon as possible. Once it is complete, you will see a dramatic improvement in indoor heating and cooling, making you wonder why you questioned the thermostat’s ability.
The Nest thermostat is, without a doubt, an advanced piece of modern technology. It may test your patience a time or two, but if the unit is compatible with your HVAC system, you have nothing to fret about. Experts can easily handle any trouble that it gives. We urge you not to try and open it up for troubleshooting. At max, if you must try something, limit it to just restarting the thermostat and ensuring timely maintenance of your HVAC.