If you thought only central heating and cooling systems or HVAC systems require maintenance, you are way off the mark. Surprisingly you are not the only ones thinking like that. There are many others who assume window air conditioners require no tune-up or servicing. Allow us to make one thing very clear, all air conditioners, regardless of their age or type, require annual preventive maintenance. In fact, maintenance is crucial to the optimal working of every air conditioner.
In many American homes where space is limited, installing dual unit systems or HVAC systems for heating and cooling is challenging. Fortunately, window ACs solve the problem without putting anyone out of sorts. They are relatively cheap and efficient. Some models can provide both heating in winters and cooling in summers. Hence, they are a godsend for small homes and people with a limited budget. But even these units need looking after. Since all components of a window AC are housed within a single unit, homeowners often get confused about what all is done during their maintenance. Therefore, we take this opportunity to help you set up a checklist of the vital aspects of window air conditioner maintenance.
Why Do Window Air Conditioners Require Maintenance?
An air conditioner consists of several components. The AC will run optimally and reliably when all these components are clean and in top working order. Sadly, dust and long working hours play havoc on the system. The only way to bring it up to notch to face yet another grueling season is by ensuring its timely maintenance.
Maintenance Of Window AC Helps Recover Its Lost Efficiency
A lesser-known fact is that AC maintenance helps recover most of the lost efficiency. Obviously, your AC will not belt out cool air like a brand new one, but neither will it drag along like a dog with paralysis. Long working hours tend to cause a lot of wear and tear on the AC. Some parts become loose, others start to fail, while a few develop friction. The combined effect of these occurrences is loss of efficiency. Fortunately, you will always recover a major part of the hitherto lost efficiency with an annual maintenance routine and start the season on the right foot.
Window Air Conditioner Maintenance Checklist
Now that it is clear to everyone that every air conditioner requires maintenance let us briefly see what all constitutes its checklist.
1. Cleaning The Air Filter – You can access the air filter in a window AC by removing the front panel. The good news is that it does not require monthly replacement as it can be washed and reused. All you need to clean it is soapy water and a brush. First, brush off the filter in its dry state. Next, use soapy water and a rag or a brush to get rid of the rest of the stubborn dust and grime sticking. Cleaning the air filter of a window AC is so easy that homeowners should do this themselves every month instead of waiting for annual maintenance.
2. Cleaning The Inside Of The Unit – Cleaning the inside of the unit is a bit more challenging because it requires taking the AC out from its casing. Thankfully, it needs to be done just once a year, and hence, it is taken care of during the annual maintenance. As a part of the cleaning process, the coils, fan, and the surfaces of all visible components are cleaned. This can only be done by a professional as their training gives them the knowledge and skill to perform the job to perfection.
3. Checking The Condition Of The Coils – Although the coils are inside a protective casing, dust and corrosion can severely impact them. Due to this, the AC may fail to provide adequate cooling. An essential part of window AC maintenance is the cleaning of the coils and inspecting their condition. If the technician finds any discrepancy in their assessment, they shall let the homeowner know and take the requisite corrective action after consulting with them. It is normal for the coils of old air conditioners to have signs of deterioration. These are caused due to age and wear and tear, but it is still essential to gauge whether they can pull through yet another scorching season or not.
4. Inspecting The Fan – The fan is responsible for pushing out the cold air from the AC. At times, the fan becomes sluggish. This could be due to motor problems or because of too much dust on the fan blades. Cleaning the fan blades will take care of the latter issue. While for the former, every annual inspection of the motor will let the technician know of its condition, and accordingly, intervention can be done at the first sign of trouble.
5. Testing The AC – Once all the critical components are inspected and the complete AC is given a thorough cleaning, it is put back together. The technician plugs it in and turns it on to check that the AC is working fine and that its cooling is proper.
AC Maintenance Ensures Your AC Will Work Without Any Issues
The maintenance of window AC ensures that your system will not give you any trouble when you need it the most. It is perhaps the only way to know the reliability of your system. Aging systems may require more look after than others, so you may have to schedule their inspection more often.
A handy window air conditioner maintenance checklist makes it easy for every homeowner to judge that nothing has been left to chance by the AC technician. Use this checklist to guide you in the future. Let no one take advantage of your ignorance. Be prepared and be armed with the right and the relevant knowledge.
To book the maintenance of their window air conditioners, the residents of West Palm Beach can contact Aztil Air Conditioning. We are a premier HVAC contractor in the area serving the residents with world-quality affordable services since 1981. Since our offices are always open, you can contact us anytime to book an appointment at +1-888-729-8452.